Please Help with Broken Garage Door

Old 05-18-08, 03:45 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please Help with Broken Garage Door

Anyone that could offer any suggestions...

My husband was changing the light bulb on the garage door opener and the light bulb got stuck. Well, he stuck a screw driver in to try and dislodge the light bulb and it seemed to short out the opener. There was a spark and some smoke. Now the opener doesn't work at all... we tried unplugging for about a half hour - nothing. The light on the wall opener is on and there is a light blinking inside the actual opener - it is blinking 5 times every few seconds. So the unit isn't completely dead, but clearly not working. Oh, and when you press the open button on the wall opener, it clicks a couple of times, but won't open the door.

Any repair suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ouch...very likely shorted out the boards somehow.
I won't even go into the "always unplug electrical devices" thing.

How old, what brand and model? Give us that and I'm sure you'll get some answers in a day or so. Might make more sense to replace it with new if its too old.

Old 05-18-08, 06:42 PM
L
Brand is a Liftmaster. Not sure what model, but it was installed with the house when it was built about 10 years ago (given the track record of the builders, I'm guessing it is a bottom of the line model).

Given the age of the unit (and the likely short out), unless someone has any other ideas, I think we will probably just replace the entire unit. Didn't work that great to begin with.

Yeah, the "unplug electrical devices" thing, I think this is why hubby is in the finance industry!

Last edited by lsg0303; 05-18-08 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-08, 07:19 PM
C
Received 96 Votes on 75 Posts
"he stuck a screw driver in to try and dislodge the light bulb"

I hope that is the last time he sticks a screwdriver into an energized piece of equipment. If he insists on doing his own repairs you might want to be sure his will and life insurance are up to date.

BTW - There are several correct ways to remove a broken bulb. I just grab the edge of the socket with a pair of needle nosed pliers. I do that right after I double check that the power is off.

Old 05-19-08, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, Liftmaster is a good brand. Of course they make good units and cheaper units.

When shopping for a replacement, I'd suggest a good belt drive or screw drive model. Personally I like the screw drives, even if they require a bit more maintenance and are harder to repair if something goes south in the drive mechanism.

Belt drives require very little maintenance to the opener itself and by observation may be a bit quieter with a properly balanced and maintained door. I just don't like the exposed belt and such.

Old 05-19-08, 10:55 AM
T
You probably blew your board. Runs around $85.00 and is pretty easy and uneventfully to replace ( If you remember to unplug your operator first). But who am I to judge considering I've done the same thing more times then I care to omit.

Old 05-19-08, 12:47 PM
Uhhhhh, wow how old is he? Being in finance or not I just cant believe someone would actually do that. I would get the model # and such then start searching eBay for parts or bite the bullet and get a nice new $180 liftmaster and have someone else install it!!!

Old 05-19-08, 02:14 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
The symptoms you describe, sounds like a blown capacitor to me. That would give a five blinking code (RPM sensor) because the motor will not turn. " Smoke" will come out if the capacitor is blown and you will get two clicks from the opener if the capacitor is blown. I would try that first before buying a new opener, You may get lucky and the circuit board will be OK.

Old 06-19-08, 06:45 PM
J
This is not good news. My garage opener is doing the same exact thing, only I didn't try sticking a screwdriver in it while it was on. My model number is 1345. What happened to me is we had a lightening strike near the house. I have lost so many things it's unbelievable. The garage is high on the list to get fixed/replaced though because it is kind of important. I don't know how we lost so much, I keep everything plugged into surge protectors.

Old 06-20-08, 02:00 PM
W
westnlas

Ouch ! We all make mistakes, generally we make ones we survive, sometimes we make one we don't. A raw potato can be jammed over a broken bulb and twisted to remove the base. It really works well. I would buy a new opener at this point though. My mother-in law just bought a Craftsman belt drive from Sears and it's fantastic. Very quiet and smooth operation. She has a finished ceiling in the garage and there wasn't enough clearance for a screw drive model. Installing a new one isn't hard to do if you follow the instructions very carefully. You could probably do it when your husband was at work.
Good luck with it.

Old 08-05-08, 03:29 PM
A
hi all, first post for me. chicago land was hit with crazy storms last night and similar to jonyah's post below, lightning either hit my house or my backyard. i just know that the light and sound was instantaneous and we were practically blinded inside.

anyhow i have a 2 car garage and both liftmaster 1345 units had blinking wall switches. none of my 4 garage openers or keypad work however the wall switches still work. i have tried to re-program all 4 garage openers without success and have tried the keypad without success as well. will i still need to replace the circuit board on both garage units if the wall switch is still working? any info would be appreciated.

Old 08-05-08, 05:25 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Doorman2722 View Post
" Smoke" will come out if the capacitor is blown
Once the magic blue smoke is released, electronics refuse to operate.
Call a garage door company to fix it. Obviously hubby is not up to the task. Better yet, perhaps you could do it.

Akuma; might your homeowners insurance pay for repairs?

Old 08-06-08, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Akuma View Post
hi all, first post for me. chicago land was hit with crazy storms last night and similar to jonyah's post below, lightning either hit my house or my backyard. i just know that the light and sound was instantaneous and we were practically blinded inside.

anyhow i have a 2 car garage and both liftmaster 1345 units had blinking wall switches. none of my 4 garage openers or keypad work however the wall switches still work. i have tried to re-program all 4 garage openers without success and have tried the keypad without success as well. will i still need to replace the circuit board on both garage units if the wall switch is still working? any info would be appreciated.
You may have to replace the C/B. The problem with lighting strikes is it sometimes gives the opener some strange and unusually symptoms. I usually keep changing parts till it works
You say the wall buttons are blinking, Is it the single button or the multi button with a lock and light switch ?

Old 08-06-08, 02:23 PM
A
The wall buttons were blinking for both garage doors. But once I reset the opener codes by holding down the "Learn" button for longer than 6 seconds the wall buttons went back to the solid light.

Is it difficult to replace circuit boards? I found a place that charges 76.00. Is it a simple swap after I unhook the 3 wires?

Old 08-06-08, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Akuma View Post
The wall buttons were blinking for both garage doors. But once I reset the opener codes by holding down the "Learn" button for longer than 6 seconds the wall buttons went back to the solid light.

Is it difficult to replace circuit boards? I found a place that charges 76.00. Is it a simple swap after I unhook the 3 wires?
Ok wall buttons are not blinking now, and you have erased all codes by holding down the smart button for 6-7 seconds until the small LED light next to it goes out. That erases the remotes from memory also. The next step would be to reprogram the remotes by pressing and release the smart button and then press and release the button on the remote. The light on the opener should flash once indicating they have talked to each other and programing is complete. If they won't program the C/B is definitely bad. It is very easy to replace. Note where the wires attach, remove 3-4 screws, rotate the C/B up and unplug it from the wiring harness.

Old 08-06-08, 03:11 PM
A
Thank you Doorman2722 this is the exact info I need.

Yep the openers on both garage units won't re-program (after 20+ attempts) and neither does a keypad for one unit. I press the "Learn" button, press and hold down on the opener, but the garage unit doesn't blink 2x or click. So this confirms I have to replace both circuit boards. (Lightning strike on my house fried my AC as well, circuit board, transformer, and some gas valve power unit in my furnace...)

Guess I'll be placing my order in today for the garage door circuit boards.