How to remove stripped gear from garage door opener?

Old 08-06-08, 01:21 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove stripped gear from garage door opener?

HELP! I am trying to replace the eaten up plastic gear on my craftsman 1/2 hp opener. All good until I got to the part where I am supposed to remove the OLD plastic gear. It is held on by TWO little metal pins, one at top and one at bottom. How do these pins come out? I have tried anything I could think of, even called the TECH HELPLINE - was told I needed a special "key" to get these little things out. Is that so? THANKS for any help.
galtrying

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-08, 03:23 PM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you already removed the motor?

Have you already removed the motor?
1. If you have you need to put it back in before you remove the roll pins.
2. You can use a punch that is the same size as the roll pin and knock it out.
3. If you attempt this with the motor out it will damage the shaft and you will have another issue to deal with.
4. We always replace the entire gear and shaft assembley, because when ever the gear goes bad the shaft bearing also seems to be on it's last leg.
5. Replacing the gear and sprocket shaft assembley would be my recomendation.
6. Make sure you check the balance of your door, and lube all moving parts when you are done.

Kevin Kodama

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 08-06-08 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Removed links from signature line
Old 08-06-08, 05:01 PM
J
What KT said. Those roll pins either come out easily or are a bear. You need a punch the same size or slightly smaller than the pins, but flat. Do not spread the end of the pin or it will never come out. Other than that, follow the directions in the kit.

Old 08-06-08, 06:00 PM
G
Yep, motor out. Putting back! Thanks. I was concerned about spreading the pins, as Just Bill mentioned. These things are not coming out - already used the punch. Looks like I am getting the whole gear/shaft assembly now. I appreciate you and JB responding.

Old 01-02-09, 05:22 AM
S
Elbow grease

This is just harder then you'd think it ought to be, but it is doable. I was working on a 15 year old Liftmaster. I used (ruined) a drill bit. The diameter if the bit needs to be almost, but not quite as wide, as the pin. You hammer on the tip of the bit. The base of the bit is applied to the pin. I squirted some WD40 into the pin -- don't know if that helped. It took about 10 minutes of hammering. It was just difficult and took patience.

Last edited by Springerrr; 01-02-09 at 05:26 AM. Reason: more information
Old 01-08-09, 07:35 PM
M
How to remove the pins

Originally Posted by galtrying View Post
HELP! I am trying to replace the eaten up plastic gear on my craftsman 1/2 hp opener. All good until I got to the part where I am supposed to remove the OLD plastic gear. It is held on by TWO little metal pins, one at top and one at bottom. How do these pins come out? I have tried anything I could think of, even called the TECH HELPLINE - was told I needed a special "key" to get these little things out. Is that so? THANKS for any help.
galtrying
--------------------

With the motor out and the eaten up plastic gear in your face, chop or break the eaten up gear with a bolo/heavy knife until the two pins just exist. Just with a flat head tool, or a hammer, just hammer out the lower pin to one direction. You don't have to hammer both pins. When the lower pin is flushed to the shaft, use a flat pin, I used a headed screw just the size of the hole and punched out the pin. [easy as a piece of cake]. Don't worry about the pin spreading out. It is hollow with a gap space to pushed out easy. Replace back the new gear and hammer in the pin back with a flat tool, hammer or something, be very careful not to hit or damage the new gear. Put back the motor to the opener, And bingo, you have it.

Last edited by mabangongsarap; 01-08-09 at 08:06 PM. Reason: elaborate farther
Old 01-08-09, 08:09 PM
M
Look at my quote to you, and see if it make sense. I did it in an hour or so, removing the motor and replacing the gear and back.

Old 01-30-11, 03:33 PM
D
How to replace the stripped gear

Detailed instructions with large photos at:
(change this URL to a proper format, this forum won't let me post a direct link, so remove the "dot" and make it a .)

http://tinyurl"dot"com/gearfix