Stanley Mod# 3220.51 opener trouble

Old 09-28-08, 05:45 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stanley Mod# 3220.51 opener trouble

My neighbor has a Stanley Model # 3220.51 gdo. Yesterday, she called me saying it wouldn't open. After checking the circuit breaker box and finding nothing tripped, I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. It worked fine for several up and down sequences the rest of the day.
This morning, she called again and same problem. However, this time when I plugged it back in, the light went on but nothing else happens with the opener motor at all. No clicks, hums, movement, etc.
I know this is an older unit and should probably be replaced, but do you know what the actual problem could be? Thanks!

Pecos

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-08, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the board has prob died. You could try opening it up and reseating all connections, but if that doesn't help...yer SOL.
To my knowledge, there aren't any parts available and no support, since the 2 (?) companies that made openers under the Stanley name are out of business. She could probably pick up a new one for $100-120 on sale.

Old 09-28-08, 09:42 AM
P
Thanks! I found several sources for the circuit board online. The cheapest is $60. Is replacing it just a matter of screwing the new one back on where the old one came off, or do you have to make any connections?

Old 09-28-08, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's been a while since I did anything with a Stanley, I'm sure its just remove a couple of screws and snap the new board into the connector.

But don't take my word that that is the problem. You could replace it and it still doesn't work.

And seriously, $60 (plus shipping probably) for a, hmmm, maybe 12-14 y/o opener part? If it was a gear or something for a few bucks, maybe. But something else will prob fail in a few years, then what?

For a little more money, she could have a new quiet, reliable, safer opener with a warranty. I understand money is tight for everyone, but this isn't a 67 GTO with a 389 and Tri-power.

I'd check Craigs List in your area, there may be a couple listed there for cheap. I see 'em all the time new in box for 1/2 price.

Sears has some right now for $120, and if you have a Sears repair center around, you can probably get some refurb units with full warranty for even less.

Just MHO...

Old 09-28-08, 05:12 PM
P
She decided on a new opener which I just finished installing. Thanks for the help!

Pecos