Widening garage door opening

Old 10-14-08, 01:27 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Widening garage door opening

Ok guys, my dilemma here is that whoever designed this garage didn't think things through. I have a full two car garage which has a normal entry door and an oversized one car door for entrance to the garage (it also has an entry/exit door on the back side of the garage)

Anyway, I just recently bought a Chevy Avalanche which is a pretty big vehicle so now my wife and I can't both fit in the garage because you have to pull the second car in at an angle which my truck won't allow any more. I would like to put in a full two car (16x7) garage door and possibly relocate the entry door on the side. How difficult would this be? Conceptually it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. I think the door is about 11 or 12 feet wide right now.

Here is a picture:

Last edited by xceebeex; 10-14-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It may not be that difficult, depending on your skill level and the interior construction of the garage. It won't be cheap though. New good quality garage door alone will run $1000-1200 if you install it yourself. You'd have to replace the header all the way across, and the material for that might run at least a couple of hundred.

Since you have a camera, pics of the inside framing (wide angle if possible) would help the experts advise you. Is the interior finished? If it is, the pics might not be necessary.

Old 10-14-08, 06:26 PM
X
Yea, I figured that I would need a new header. What material would I need to construct a new header? The interior does have drywall up, so I guess you could call that finished. I can try and take a picture of the top portion of the opening on the inside of the garage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.

I really hate to spend the money to do this, but IMO this garage was not done right and it is basically useless as a two car garage unless you have two smaller vehicles.

Old 10-15-08, 06:56 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I don't think the garage was intended for two cars. I think it was to be one car with storage or workspace.

In any case, the good news is that the door opening is in a non bearing wall which will make the header selection easier - and cheaper.

Old 10-15-08, 04:30 PM
X
Originally Posted by cwbuff
I don't think the garage was intended for two cars. I think it was to be one car with storage or workspace.

In any case, the good news is that the door opening is in a non bearing wall which will make the header selection easier - and cheaper.
Yea it is quite possible part of it was designed for a work space because there are a ton of outlets.

Anyway, how expensive would a new header cost?

Old 10-15-08, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well, It's kinda depends on whats required. Check with a lumberyard, get a price for some... (hmmm.. do they make these?) 20-24 ft 2 x 12 for planning purposes. Anything less will be gravy. Most good lumberyards could probably look up some span tables of some sort and tell you right off.

Old 10-16-08, 07:14 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
As GunGuy said, check with your lumberyard. An engineered beam might be a little pricey but is probably the easiest way to go. Since this is a non bearing wall I think you might be able to use a built up beam. Something like a couple of 2X10s sandwiched around some 1/2" plywood.

My daughter has a 16' door in a bearing wall. The header is a triple 2X12 built up on doubled 2X6 jack studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: