Can a garage door opener chain fall off?

Old 10-20-08, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can a garage door opener chain fall off?

My garage door opener stopped working today. I can disengage the trolley to get the door up and down. When I click the button, I can hear the motor running, but the chain does not move. Is it possible that the chain has fallen off the "gear" inside the opener? If so, is it possible for me to put it back on, like one would put a bike chain back on?

Old 10-20-08, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just guessing, since you didn't mention the brand name.

You have probably stripped the nylon gears in the motor area. Chamberlain (Sears) are known for doing this over time.
If you remove the cover over the motor area, it will probably be full of plastic shavings.

If you are handy, patient and follow instructions well, it can be repaired. You can get a repair kit for around $30. But depending on the age of the unit you may be better off with a new one. They have more safety and convenience features. I have also seen reports that even after replacement of the gears, they will not last as long as the originals, not sure if thats true or not.

Old 10-21-08, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I checked it out last night and sure enough, there were plastic shavings in the housing and the gear was completely gone-no teeth whatsoever!
So, I am taking your advice and just getting a new garage door opener instead of a new gear.
Thanks for the tips!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: