converting an old pole barn - Vinyl siding

Old 10-20-08, 09:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
converting an old pole barn - Vinyl siding

My property has a 20yo pole barn on it that could use some TLC (oxidized metal sheeting and the shingles on the roof need replaced.)

Here is what I would like to do - where would I run into trouble is there anything that would prevent this from happening etc...

Currently the barn is an uninsulated pole building on a flat slab (no lip at perimeter of slab, just a pressure treated board that leaks in typically during snow melt)

I would like to replace the metal sheeting with OSB, housewrap/barrier, vinyl siding to match the house. Potentially if the price is right and its doable I would consider doing a brick ledge at the bottom to match the house. I was thinking concrete-board, then metal lathe, then brick veneer (not full bricks but those veneer bricks. Thats basically it on the outside (new shingles of course) my questions are, is the veneer thing possible? What do I do with the pressure treated board along the bottom just replace and seal better or is their another way?

The other part of the equation that I'm not sure of is the insulation. I want to insulate the inside after its all pretty - but I want to keep my open rafters accessible (I store boats and other gear up there between the rafters) So what I want to do is insulate at the inside of the roof decking - whats the preferred method? I don't need venting with this method (sofit - ridge) right?

Lot of stuff, lot of questions so if your replying, thanks for taking the time.

I can post some pics of some of this stuff if it helps

Old 10-24-08, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hello, sounds like your best bet will be blown insulation. i dont know much about the "lick-n-stick" brick so no comment.

I don't need venting with this method (sofit - ridge) right
nope, you don't need vents unless you have an enclosed attic.
hopefully someone else will get in here and fill in the holes, i can't help you much further. good luck though

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: