Building a two car garage from the ground up

Old 11-02-08, 10:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building a two car garage from the ground up

Hello everyone,

I'm a novice builder who would like to build a two car garage next summer. Although I've done wood framming and roofing in the past, I have no experience pouring concrete. My first question is, bluntly, given the time needed to learn from whatever printed or internet ressources I could get my hands on, would pouring a concrete slab be within the grasp of a novice such as myself? Secondly, what ressources (i.e. books, websites) for this type of project could you recommend? Thanks!

Old 11-02-08, 06:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
First of all, it's not just a slab. It's a slab with ribbon footings, which you could frame and have a ready mix truck do the pour. Then you could float it with some help.

Read "Your Old Garage" towards the bottom of the site.

Additions, Decks, Porches and Outbuildings - StarCraft Custom Builders

Old 11-02-08, 07:12 PM
J
Make a rough sketch--showing approx size of bldg.----show property lines--any fences--
trees--overhead wires--sidewalks--house--rough dim. everything.
Go to your city ( whatever ) inspector--he will tell you what you can do & have to do.
Go to Home Depot--they will lay-out your structure for you w/ cost.
Make final drawing w/ dim.--take to permit dept. for permits. Get Conc. Contr price for
conc. for footings.
HD will deliver all material to your home..............
You will need some help--especially holding up walls for assembly to other walls.---roof trusses.
Have a ball.................................

Old 11-03-08, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Andy!

IMO pouring the slab is the hardest part of building a garage. Once you start, you have a set period of time to get it all level and finished.... and it's HARD work! You might be tempted to make the concrete wetter to give you more working time but this can result in a weaker, chalky slab

If feasable, I'd recomend hiring this part out or atleast getting someone with a bit of concrete experience to help you. Forming and prepping the slab should save you some $

Depending on the lay of the land and local code, you may be able to pour the slab and footer together or you may need a seperate footer, block up to the desired height and then pour the floor.

Be sure to check the codes and get your permits so you don't get any nasty suprises later.

Old 11-03-08, 05:18 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Andy - I built a two car, two story garage several years ago. I did all the work myself EXCEPT for the concrete. It's a big, tough job for a DIYer especially if you are working full time.

Not only does it take special equipment that you'll probably have to rent but it also takes a certain amount of skill to get the walls square and the slab floated. My recommendation is to contract the concrete work and DIY the rest.

Old 11-09-08, 05:59 AM
I
I just built a 21 x 28 ft garage.

I did all the drawings and got the permits.

I had a contractor do the footing and floor (full footings below the frost line) and my cousin, who is a full time framer, along with 3 others did the framing in a weekend, with lumber and trusses I ordered.

I had a roofer do the shingling.

I'm going to do the rest.

The concrete, as has been mentioned is insanely hard labour and you only have a limited open time with the concrete to get it finished. You need to know what you're doing and have the help and equipment to get it done.

Getting a roof on is really important as then you can nibble away at the rest.

Old 11-22-08, 05:39 PM
C
4 guy crew

A concrete job like you describe is 3-4 guys. You have footings, then walls, then slab. Not a DIY unless you and your neighbors are pros. I did a garage with my dad and 2 other carpenters last year - it was not very fun spending all day all weekend 3 weekends in a row on concrete, mesh, bar and formwork. Framing if thats your thing is DIY+ helper, shingles too. If you dont know any concrete masons try looing one up the yellow book or the online sites like ******

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-23-08 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Other forums not allowed.
Old 11-22-08, 05:43 PM
C
Footings

Also - if the garage is unconditioned, technically you could do a thickened slab since the building and slab and ground will all move at the same temps.

Whats frost at your area?

Old 12-04-08, 07:37 PM
K
you can do it

I know I havent been on here as long as others but you can do it concrete and all. If you dont have health problems cause like some have said it is a hard and big job. Me and my buds poured my 24x30 garage floor. hard to barrow a heli, but we knew a friend that had one. but like some have said again, you will need help cause once you pour it you have to GO!
Dont pour it to wet and put lots of metal in it, Especially where you will park the vehicles. We used wire and rebar where the vehicles go.
Dont cut yourself short.
You might put a small slope from front to back on the concrete so you can wash the inside out with a garden hose and the water will run right out the door without much sweeping.

Old 12-13-08, 12:13 AM
Contractor 28 years. Footers below freezing here 3' down.Pour the footer 24"wide by 8"thick 2 runs 1/2 rebar. Now 8" block wall with a four inch solid cap with 1/2"anchor bolts for plate mim 6' foot spacing and min 12" off corners. Can change block above grade to 6"wide flush to out side wall 4" mim above grade for block parge wall below grade let dry tar pitch backfill. Now backfill mechinal tamp all inside area. use block lip left on inside wall for conc floor bearing, Post settels in that deep back filled area. Now 4" of 2b clean stone. can use 10by10 6 guage wire mats for new pour. New pour to be min 3,500 psi. at 4" thick if wired but 5" is better. I like to pour it at a 4 to 5 slump (wetness) pour without roof is easier to get truck around. use rebar pins in middle area to wet bench for screeding fresh conc. My personal thought. sub it out. I do this for a living and pouring hurts and have heavy equipment and men all the tools and a mason first trade. ect

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: