Staining steel garage doors

Old 11-08-08, 02:24 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining steel garage doors

I have this crazy idea of trying to stain my almond colored steel doors with stain (early american color) to make them look like wood garage doors.

This is where I got the idea. My front door is a large arched fiberglass door which is stained to look like wood. The door jamb around it was painted an almond color to match the windows but did not match the door. So I used some Behr Early American stain and just brushed it on over the paint. I figured if it did not work out I could just repaint it. With the almond colored paint and the stain over it (did not wipe, just brushed on and let it dry), it looks just like real wood and looks like the door and jamb is now one piece. It turned out so well that I was wondering if the almond steel doors might look similar as well. I wanted wood garage doors but they were WAY out of the budget.

Has anyone seen this done, tried it, or just have any thoughts. I really don't have any spare doors laying around to try it first so that is why I have not attempted it yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-08, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Might be iffy. The doors have a baked on enamel/polyester finish, and they probably heat differently than the wood trim. The expansion and contraction could be a real issue. As they come from the factory, they are pretty low maintenace. When you start painting, then you have to look to the future requirements.

How long has it been since you stained the trim. Might want to see how that does first. If it doesn't work on the painted wood, 10 ta 1 it will be worse on the garage door.

Check the door manufacturers website, they may have some advice. If you decide to do it, treat it just like a steel entry door. I know there are instructions out there somewhere for graining/staining a steel entry door.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 11-08-08 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 03:39 PM
L
I did find one garage door internet site that talked about staining their steel doors. It talked about rolling a first coat of gel stain. Let it dry 24 hours then put on the second coat with a brush to give it the wood stain look then finish with poly to seal and protect. Not sure what type of door finish theirs was but they said a tan door will work best because it will give that two tone effect which helps achieve the wood look.

Im just hoping someone has tried this first before I become the first victim of this idea. Once I start there will be no going back.

Old 11-08-08, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Nothing like being the first! lol

Old 11-09-08, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
It can be done using a fauz painting technique but I would be concerned on how it will weather. With some instruction, practice and maybe a little luck - you can fauz paint most any substrate and make it look like a different type of material. Obvioulsly, it's easier to get a nice job on small surfaces than on a larger area. Besides having to get the entire door to look right, you have have to protect the fauz painting from the elements [usually with spar poly] and this coating is also affected by weather.

Years ago I stained lots of wooded garage doors. Depending on their enviroment, it wasn't unusual to have to repoly them yearly. If you didn't stay on top of the maintence, it became difficult to restore the finish and many times the only good recourse was to prime and paint. I'd recomend leaving your doors as is and find other areas to spend your time, money and energy.

Old 01-30-09, 03:02 PM
I
Yes, It Can Be Done!!!

I own a garage door company in so. Ca. and i have had requests to do this very thing. In a nut shell, it can be done using a wood grain tool that you drag and roll(buy at Home Deeps or Lowe'rz). It does take some practice to nail it(no pun intended) but when you do, its really satisfying! You are correct about using gel stain and to colors: a light color(for base) and dark color(to be grained) . anyhow good luck and lemme know how it comes out.

Old 01-31-09, 09:49 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would try it in the inside of one panel first. If you like the results. go for the gusto.

Old 07-14-09, 12:57 PM
T
Faux finished garage door

Here is a link to a blog post where a lady painted her garage door. What a difference it made to the look of her home, and it didn't seem to difficult to achieve. Maybe there are some ideas here that will help with someone's garage door project.

The Southern Family: WFMW: New Look for a BO-ring Garage Door, FAUX-Real