Craftsman Model #13918869 1/2hp Opener hums but won't open

Old 12-30-08, 11:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Model #13918869 1/2hp Opener hums but won't open

I have a 1/2hp garage door opener that is 12 years old. It worked fine until a few days ago and stopped working. I opened it up and the drive gear was stripped with plastic shavings all around. The worm drive portion was fine. I got a new drive gear and replaced it, readjusted the the belt drive and operated it several times with no problems.

After I got it working properly, I put the cover back on and checked it again and it still worked with no problems. I thought I had it fixed. Several hours later, I tried to open the door, but it wouldn't open and all I got was a hum. I disconnected the door from the track and tried again and got nothing but the hum. Then, I took the cover off the opener and checked inside, and all looked well, but I couldn't get it to move.

Finally, I took a screwdriver and pushed on the teeth of the drive gear and, viola!!, movement. The opener continued to work again several times and I replaced the cover, ran it several more times. Ultimately, I left and then came back and tried it about 30 minutes later, and I was back to the hum.

What do you experts think? Could my capacitor be bad? Is the moter shot? Should I just relace the whole thing?

Old 12-31-08, 03:05 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Sounds like a weak or bad capisator to me but could be something binding somewhere. Try removing the chain and see if it runs. Being twelve years old it may be time for a new one. If you do decide to replace with a new one, keep the drive gear it will work with all chamberlain, liftmaster, craftsman products.As for a bad motor, I have only replaced one in my 14 years of repairing openers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: