Genie garage door issues. Ideas?

Old 01-19-09, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Genie garage door issues. Ideas?

I have a Genie 1/2hp opener - Model IMS1000/A (or ACSR3G) Screw drive, built 1999-2000.

The other day, close it by remote and it goes back up on it's own, then won't go down at all. The motor only goes up. I manually drop the door down and motor/screwdrive runs until I re-engage the screw and the door's all the way up. The motor won't quit running until the "fully open" trigger is hit, even with the wall switch pressed.

- Manually, with screwdrive disengaged, the door opens and closes smooth.

- Unplugged and plugged in the unit to try to reset it.

- Both safety beam sensor lights are lit and solid. Just to make sure, I disconnected the beam sensor wiring from the main unit and tried the wall switch, no good.

- Then I reconnected the safety sensors and brought them a few inches apart to make sure beam was unbroken. Same result. Wall switch doesn't close it either.

It has been nasty cold lately but the garage is insulated so it's not overly cold. I'm guessing it's a bad circuit board. But before I order one, I'm hoping someone here knows what the problem could be for sure.

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you say, wall switch pressed...do you mean pressed and held down? That would override bad sensors to close the door. I think it will override the sensors disconnected as well.

Do you have the lever style up and down limit switches, or the magnetic (I think some Genies used those)

Old 01-19-09, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the response. The wall switch held down. The limit switches are lever style, where the door pushes them to make the connection.

Old 01-19-09, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, well..hmm...the motor won't quit running thing is normal, it's the trolly hitting the limits that cause it to stop. When you hit the button with it disconnected and the door off the limit switch, it should run..hit again, it will stop, hit again, it will rotate the other way. If its against a limit it will only run in one direction. My Genie is older, but I presume yours works the same way.

When you said you disconnected the sensors, did it still act the same way? even holding the button.

Also, when you said you unplugged it...you might try leaving it unplugged for 1 hr or so to see if anything changes.

You may be right that there is a problem with the logic board, but better to try stuff before ordering, right?

Old 01-21-09, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Oh, one other thing to check, though I don't think this would cause these type of problems. The limit switch contacts are really cheap. Make sure they are making and breaking correctly. A little emory paper on the contacts.

Old 01-21-09, 02:17 PM
Yep, checked everything I can. I can't get the drive to stop without hitting the limit switch or reverse direction at all.

I'll order the logic board and go from there. Thanks for the ideas GunGuy45.

Old 01-23-09, 10:44 AM
Red face Genie 1/2 hp won't close (reverse)

Originally Posted by RobGoods View Post
I have a Genie 1/2hp opener - Model IMS1000/A (or ACSR3G) Screw drive, built 1999-2000.

The other day, close it by remote and it goes back up on it's own, then won't go down at all. The motor only goes up. I manually drop the door down and motor/screwdrive runs until I re-engage the screw and the door's all the way up. The motor won't quit running until the "fully open" trigger is hit, even with the wall switch pressed.
Thanks for the post. I had similar problem with my Genie 1/2 hp screw drive opener. The garage opener was lowering the door, then popping back up. I adjusted the front limit, and after that the drive would only turn one direction (opening the door) and would not reverse to close the door. I found the problem was that the front limit lever was stuck on the drive rail, and was causing a short circuit (in effect, making the opener 'think' that the door was in closed position). After releasing the lever, the short is fixed and now the drive is going in both directions). Perhaps it's not the logic board, but the front limit that needs adjustment or replacement.

Old 01-27-09, 04:40 PM
Fixed it

Replaced the main circuit/logic board (part #31184R).
Working like a champ now. The part was about $40 on eBay purchased new.
Thanks for the feedback. Hope this helps someone else as well.

Old 06-06-09, 10:07 PM
Genie opener automatically reverses!

I have a 1/2 hp Genie Pro screw drive that closes the door part way, then reverses. The door raises fine. Door opens and closes freely by hand. Everything is lubricated and no binding. Safety beam sensors are aligned and no flashing. Sensitivity switch adjustments don't help. When it starts to close, it automatically reverses at random points of it's travel. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks

Old 01-28-10, 02:56 PM
Smile

I am glad I found this thread.
I had the same issue with my Genie gargage door opener model H6000A-2K.
It would open but not close.
I checked Safety beam sensors, open and close limit switches,
and wires. Everything worked fine.
I went to ebay and ordered a logic board (AKA Sequencer)
After replacing the board, my gargage door opener opened and closed just fine.
Thanks to RobGoods and the rest.
I hope it will help other people.

Old 03-17-10, 02:39 PM
Exclamation Genie H6000A problems & fixes

I have the Genie H6000A, and live in a coastal area where corrosion can be an issue . This unit uses the simple limit switches, and they need cleaning every couple of months -- steel wool or emery paper followed by a little WD40 on the copper-y looking metal parts that make contact. But I recently had a more interesting failure -- unit would open but not close the garage door -- which turned out to be a bad (shorted) limit switch that looked perfectly good, and that I had just cleaned . I subbed in another switch and that fixed the problem. Moral: don't trust those limit switches, and keep extras on-hand . Test by disconnecting wire from limit switch and see if motor behavior changes. If door opens but won't close, check that you've got the red and green LEDs lit on the safety-beam devices down near your garage floor. If not, check connections on those units -- that wire is flimsy and breaks easily. Beer 4U2

Old 06-18-11, 08:22 AM
Genie Model IMS1000/A Blows Up

[QUOTE=RobGoods;1505571]I have a Genie 1/2hp opener - Model IMS1000/A (or ACSR3G) Screw drive, built 1999-2000.
/QUOTE]
I have the same unit on a two door garage. Has worked fine for years.

Recently, noticed it doesn't do safety return / reverse when detecting a blockage...it keeps on going.

Took off cover to access force adjustments. Put 2x4 on floor as referenced on several web pages as a good testing method for safety return. Used wired button for testing. Made first slight adjustment (reduced down force by one step).

Result was that door would reverse, but only for two feet, then stop.

Had to unplug, replug and reset the drive unit. Would seem to take about two minutes to "turn back on" - only indicator was that the light on the wired button device by our door would turn on. Press the button again and the door would continue back up.

Adjusted the force one more notch and repeated...same scenario.

Decided to stop, remove the 2x4, close the door and check around for additional insight.

Suddenly, I hear a "pop" sound and see a bunch of smoke coming from the driver unit. I quickly unplugged it.

Looks like it was on its last legs. Not sure that it was anything I did to stress it. By my estimate, this should not have happened if it was "healthy". Agree?

Old 09-07-11, 09:23 PM
goes up, but not down

Same story as the rest; very close to Mykol's issue. I have a Genie 1/2 HP screw drive. A while ago, the problem was random - it would take a few tries to get it to close. Now, it simply won't close. Tried all the things Mykol did, but to no avail. I unhooked the GDO from the door itself, and the opener works fine. Both open and close limit switches work like they should; sensors work, all controls work as they should. Door opens/closes easily. But when I attach the door, I'm back to where I started. I've reset the force settings as well; no impact. Is the resolution the logic/board sequencer? My unit is only 5 years old, but I'd like to know if it's better to replace than repair. Thanks!

Old 02-10-14, 02:36 PM
Question

Bumping an old thread because I believe I have the same problem.

My unit is actually branded as a Chamberlain IMS1000/A, but looks absolutely identical (except for the word "Chamberlain" instead of Genie).

We bought the house ~4 years ago so I don't know detailed history on the opener. It works most of the time without issue, but occasionally would hang when closing. Just blipping the remote twice... once would start the door back up, then the second would tell it to continue back down... would generally complete the close.

Because of a fairly low ceiling, the top center of the door sometimes just touches the J-arm, and has left a slight blackish grease stain over the years on that part of the door. That may be a red herring... just being thorough.

Yesterday, the opener decided it doesn't want to close the door period. It opens just fine, but on close, it moves about an inch, then shudders stopped, then tries to open back up (for that inch of close it did). Here's what I've done so far...

I replaced all of the rollers. They were yucky and I had a Lowes gift card to burn up. I lubed all of the tracks with moly lube. I cleaned the contacts on both limit switches and verified they have solid on/off behavior using a meter. I cleaned and re-lubed the gear drive and verified (as best I could) that the sections of the screw are still attached to one another. I released the trolley and confirmed I can open the door easily with one hand (to ensure the springs are working), and confirmed that I can open the door half way and stop it, and it will stay where I left it, or give it a push in either direction and it will smoothly (relatively) finish opening or closing. When I reattach the trolley, I'm back to a door that will open just fine, but will not close. If I hold the wall switch down continuously, it will "override" and run the door all the way down without issue. So... there is something "sensing" a problem and telling the motor to stop lowering. I just don't know what it is. Like most people, I'm poor (and especially poor at the moment). Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-14, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First, welcome to the forums.

You did not mention checking the door sensors. They should show a solid LED light. If either one is blinking, they are out of alignment which would account for your problem.

You should not lube the track or the surfaces of the rollers which ride in the track. That just collects dirt and actually makes it harder for the opener to work - over time.
If the sensors are okay, try adjusting the down force on the opener.

Old 02-10-14, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
The Chamberlain and Genie brands are now owned by the same parent company I believe....but I don't think the tech crosses over.

Also...sometimes the led goes from green to red (for example). The Chamberlain site always messes with my pc for some reason...so can't look up the manual.