Filling in the gaps with???

Old 01-23-09, 05:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling in the gaps with???

Hello gang. I'm thinking of doing this little project this weekend and thought I could throw this out here and see what comes back. I have a garage door that doesn't close all the way, and leaves a rather large gap at the top of the door. And with the cold temps we've had the past couple of weeks, I'm paying for it in the form of an electric bill. The garage door is for a two car garage, (don't know the exact measurement), but it's a solid door. One that doesn't roll up or fold up. Last weekend I tried everything from adjusting the garage door opener, to trying to adjust the garage door itself to get it to close completely. And there is still about an 1 1/2 to 2 inch gap at the top. Well, the gaps runs along the sides of the garage door, but at the top of the door. Ok...here's what I was thinking. I thought of getting a couple cans of the expanding foam insulation that you use to fill in the gaps around windows, etc. I thought that by using this, it would expand and fill in the odd shapes and angles. Does anyone know if this would be a good idea? And if so, does anyone know what I could use to put along the garage door, or any other place I don't want the insulation to stick to so it wouldn't break off once it's dried and cured and I open the garage door? Could I use cooking oil, vaseline, or cardboard? Or, anything else that I haven't thought about? Any opinions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-09, 07:00 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Door

I had a door similar to yours, but have replaced it. When I had the one-piece door, I used a thick foam rubber gasket between the edge of the door and the door jamb to close the gap. The gasket was about 1"x1" and came in a roll. I do not remember the length. I found it at the home center with the weather stripping items. Hope this helps. I would not use the spray foam. It makes a real mess. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-23-09, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
Be carefull using spray foam. Some times expand with considerable force so get a low exapanding type. It will still expand but without the strength to bow your window frames.

Do not spray foam along the top of your garage door. Gravity will try to pull it out of position so unless you build a form (mold) to hold it in place until it cures I think it will sag and generally make a mess.

If you cannot find a weather stripping or foam tape large enough to fill the gap along your door look in the plumbing department for pipe inuslation. It is long, round foam to wrap around water pipes to prevent freezing and it is available in several sizes. A few nails or screws will hold it in place and it makes a great gasket to seal really large gaps. Do not use it where it is exposed to direct sunlight and it will last for years.

Old 01-23-09, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
I'm having a hard time trying to visualize exactly where the gap is...so this may be wrong.

If the gap is really that wide, why not just attach an additional 1" thick- 4" or 6" board to the existing jamb? It could extend into the garage and provide a place for attaching weatherstrip of some sort. It shouldn't interfere with operation of a normal 1 piece swing-up door when in the open position.

Old 01-23-09, 10:22 AM
At any lumber yard, and even many hardware stores, you should be able to find a garage door weather strip. They usually consist of about a two inch strip of thin vinyl with a one inch thin flexible rubber strip at the bottom. They are meant to be nailed/stapled/glued to the bottom of your garage door. But you could nail/staple/glue the stip to the top and sides of your garage door opening to close the gap. The flexible rubber strip would allow a loose contact with the door.
I am not to keen on your idea to spray in expandable foam. It is hard to imagine the foam not dripping from above and running down the sides of the door opening.

Old 01-23-09, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice gang. Just to clarify, if someone was still confused, the gaps are at both sides of the door and not at the very top. Yeah, I knew it would be a mess to do, but thought maybe someone could give me a little hindsight 20/20 type advice before I got started. Now, with that being said, I think I WILL go look at some weather stripping and see how thick I can find. We used some foam pipe insulation last weekend just to try to cut down on some of the draft until we could figure out something else. And the pipe insulation fit on there pretty nicely. The insulation comes already split to slide it on the pipe, so we just slid it over the door jams on both sides. Worked up pretty good as far as the fit. And if I can't find anything else in the weather stripping department, then we may just go with the pipe insulation and figure our a way to put it on more permanantly.

Thanks again for all the advice. Can't go wrong with posting it up in the DIY forums!!!