garage door motor hums, does not open or close

Old 01-26-09, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage door motor hums, does not open or close

Hi,

I have a lift-master 1/3hp 1200 series garage opener about 8yrs old. While open the garage recently, the door got tangled to a heavy plastic bag kept the top of a cabinet next to garage door railing. Then the garage door does not close. When I on the wall switch, the motor hums and clicks once.

(1) I am able to manually close and open the garage door.
(2) I do not see any uneven gap when it closed.
(3) Pulleys and chan on both sides are still connected.
(4) The overhead tension spring doesn't show any broken link.
(5) It is a chain-operated sectional, the chain also looks ok.
(6) The sensor light is continuously on(not blinking).

Based on what I read in this forum, I am suspecting gears inside could be broken? Or even through I don't see any link break up in the spring, could it still be a spring problem? Any help or clues are appreciated to root cause the problem?

thanks,
Pshawn

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-09, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Possibly the gears yes. You can open the case and look inside, you'll know immediately if you see plastic shavings inside. The symptoms aren't quite right for most of the gear problems I've seen or heard.

Does it do the same thing with the trolley unhooked from the chain?

You might also try unplugging the opener for an hour or so. See if it acts any differently.

A broken spring will normally keep the door from being opened due to the weight.

Old 01-26-09, 12:59 PM
Hi Gunguy,

thanks for the reply. I will open the casing this evening and check for broken plastic shavings.

>Does it do the same thing with the trolley unhooked from the chain?

You mean if the garage door manually opens or closes with chain unhooked? I have not tried it.

>You might also try unplugging the opener for an hour or so. See if it acts any differently.

I checked if it is due to overload, but I turned off power to it for 20mins or so and tried it, it did not help. I will try after shutting off for longer duration.

thanks,
Pshawn

Old 01-26-09, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
No...I meant if you pull the release cord and try to operate the opener, does the chain and trolley move then. The trolley is the part that moves on the rail, it has the chain/cable attached to it.

Also, did the door open fully when it got tangled with the bag? Check to make sure the trolley is not jammed against the stop bolt on the rail. Never seen that, but have heard of it happening.

Old 01-26-09, 01:24 PM
Hi gunguy,

When I pull the release cord, I remember as the chain and pully both moving.

When I push the garage door all the way up, it was able to latch to the hook just in of the motor and it does not come down by itself until I pull the release cord.

thanks,
Pshawn

Old 02-07-09, 09:07 PM
some more findings

Hi,

today finally I opened the motor back panel to check for gear, I don't see anything broken inside. There is a while vertical gear abd then a horizontal gear, both are intact.

Also I checked the garage door with pulley connected. When pulley connected, the garage door stops whichever position I leave it on, so I am hoping this conlcudes spring is not broken. When I pull the pulley rope and go to manual mode, then the garage comes down if I lessen the support.

So can the motor be burned out becuase the plastic bag was stuck in its path? Or could some other part like a capacitor is burned out? I am trying to figure out, should this requires replacing the motor or will replacing some parts will help? Which store will sell parts for lift-master garages? How much does it cost to replace the motor?

Any more information is appreciated?

thanks,
Pshawn

Old 02-08-09, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
You are using the term pulley and that is confusing the issue.

If the door is locked into the trolley (the part attached to the chain on the opener rail) ...it should not move unless the opener moves it.

If the door is released using the emergency release rope...it should remain balanced almost anywhere in the opening and should move either direction with very little effort required. If it does not, if it either comes down or rolls up on its own...you should have it serviced and adjusted.

If you pull the emergency release (disconnect door or manual mode as you said) and the motor runs and the chain moves from the all the way up position to the down position, or from down to up....then your opener appears to be working.

Your door may need service and adjustment.

As I said, your statements have been a little confusing.

If you can clarify EXACTLY what the door and the opener do, both when connected and when in "manual mode", the folks here may be able to help further.

If not, I'd have to suggest you call in a repair professional. Garage doors are the largest moving item in your home and if not functioning properly can be dangerous.

Old 02-09-09, 12:31 PM
thanks gunguy. I will have it looked by professional.

Pshawn

Old 03-28-09, 09:16 PM
fix to my problem:

Hi,

Finally I got around to show my garage to a professional. Literally within a minute he found what the problem was. The metal part that moves along with trolley was stuck in the bolt attached toward the motor. He just loosed the bolt and whola, it started working. He was great and he didn't even charge me anything for it. I had bought a new garage opener just in case, I had to return it. So I rest my case.

-Pshawn

Old 03-29-09, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
I always forget that..I guess cause its never happened to me. Doorman (one of the Pro's here) probably would have said that right off.

Well, glad you got it fixed and it cost nothing, best price of all!

Old 08-17-14, 07:00 PM
gunguy,
It seems I have a similar problem: chain moves, but not attached to the trolley no matter what I did with the release handle.

Since pshawn is not active. would you please explain where the bolt is? Do I need to open the power head to reach it?
Thanks.