Garage Door Motor problem?

Old 02-24-09, 12:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Motor problem?

I have a ˝ horsepower Craftsman garage door opener (uses chain system) that has stopped working. A few weeks ago the garage door would go down a few feet and then go back up. We would press the start/stop button once to stop it going back up and then twice to send it back down. We did this for about a week (until I could figure out why this was happening) but now it does not work at all. The other day, while the door was going down we tried our old trick but the opener stopped and will not go up or down anymore. The trolley has stopped in the middle of the track. I can pull the chord to detach the door and manually move it up and down but the track will not move anymore. The door opens and closes pretty easy so I assume the spring is still working. When I press the button all I hear is the motor humming but nothing is moving. I’m guessing the motor is burned out? Any thoughts or opinions? Is this an easy fix for me or should I call a professional?

Old 02-24-09, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Possibly the gears have stripped out on the inside. Common problem and fits your symptons. They can be replaced, but it can be simple or hard, depending on your skill level. Unplug the opener and take the cover off, it will be very apparent if that is the problem. If not we'll move on.

Post back if you need more help, but if the opener is more than 5-7 yrs old, it may be worth buying new. The kit is around $30 or so IIRC.

Old 02-24-09, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Second that; had stripped gear on my last Craftsman opener.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: