garage door stuck at open position

Old 03-02-09, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage door stuck at open position

A few days ago, I opened the garage door with my remote and the door went up fine. However, when I tried the remote again, the door wouldn't come down. remote, wall switch nothing worked. So I disengaged the arm that connects the door to the carriage and manually pulled the door down.

The door comes and goes up easily with little force. So I am guessing that the springs are fine. (Uses torsion springs).

Later, I took a closer look at the overhead opener unit. When I pressed the remote the carriage was further pulled back (looks like the motor keeps opening the door) and stopped when it was being pushed into the opener unit. (without the door connected to it, it pulled back all the way it can). It seems that the motor only tries to pull up the door and does not move in the other direction. I tried to move the limit switch with a screw-driver, and start the motor with remote, and still the motor tries to move the chain in the direction of pulling up the door. So how do I make the motor reverse directions?

The model I have is Allister All-O-Matic model AR-7D. (very old, I am not sure how old) I have the manual.

Any help will be appreciated.

If replacing the garage door opener is the solution, which ones are supposed to be good? (current opener is 1/3 HP, Its a two car garage door). Is it a doable DIY project for a beginner? (enthusiastic and willing to make mistakes )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 09:55 AM
Make sure that the safety eyes are not blocked. They should both have a light on them and they should both be on. If they are not on and they are not physically blocked, they may simply be out of alignment.

Old 03-02-09, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Not familiar with that brand..so no help there..sorry.

Does it have safety sensor eyes? If not I wouldn't spend any money trying to fix it..time yes, money no. The newer openers have many more safety and convenience features.

Yes, you could install a new opener yourself..with just simple handtools (wrenches, screwdrivers, socket set and a ladder are normally required). Personally, if it comes to replacement, I like Genie Screwdrive openers.

Some of the opener Pro's should check in w/i a day or so...Mondays are always a slow response day.

Old 03-02-09, 11:11 AM
I don't think this model has any safety sensor eyes . Nothing blinks on it, manual doesn't mention any safety sensor eyes .. It does reverse direction while closing if it hits something.

Old 03-02-09, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
The eyes would be mounted on the sides of the door about 12" off the floor. Prob doesn't have them.

The safety reverse was common even 20 yrs ago..its a force adjustment thing.

I always laugh (ok, not out loud) when I see those slasher flicks where the cheerleader gets hung or crushed by the door..but they never show the slasher making any force adjustments...lol

As I said..give the Pro's time to check in...it may be simple..or it may be junk.

Old 03-03-09, 04:09 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
That model is very old and doesn't meet code (not safe) and is next to impossible to get parts for. Your best bet is to invest in a new one

Old 03-03-09, 12:41 PM
Thanks, I am thinking that I will buy chamberlain 1/2HP belt drive. Its $177 in store according to reviews and has great reviews from all.

Old 03-03-09, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Had a very similar model..very quiet..no issues, though I only was in that house for a year or 2. Didn't use the motion detector panel...wrong position for effective operation.

Overall, good choice...even if its not a Genie screwdrive...lol

Old 03-15-09, 06:56 AM
update

Last weekend spent 10 hours installing the new garage door opener. (5 hours in buying extra hardware and preparing the wall/ceiling for holding the opener securely). Works great and Now I know anything that may go wrong with it!

(The problem with the old one was, one of the limit cams that is fixed to chain was broken. I could have fixed that, but had already bought the new one and felt like replacing the really really old opener anyway)

One question: How should I lubricate the rollers and the track (on which the door moves)? Is WD-40 good enough?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions Gunguy45, doorman2722 and selectric1

Old 03-15-09, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
No lube on the track or surface of the rollers. Keep them clean and wipe them out with a rag sprayed with silicone. Or spray the track then wipe. If there is any grease or oil now, you can wipe it out with mineral spirits or paint thinner.

If the bearings on the wheels are exposed, a drop or 2 of light oil (3in1 type) in the bearing is plenty. I also will put a drop or 2 of oil at the pivot points on all the hinges.

If you have a torsion spring mounted above the door, a line of oil run down the coils is good as well.

Also any pulleys or drums and where the lift cable attaches.

Basically any wear or contact point except the track and wheel surfaces.

Old 03-23-09, 09:15 AM
Do you still have the opener? I have the same model and mine needs the starting capacitor. Maybe I could buy yours for parts.

Old 04-21-09, 07:43 AM
sorry Jean5608. I have thrown out the old one.