Garage door opener? IDrive???

Old 03-17-09, 10:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener? IDrive???

Hi everyone, I want to put a opener on my garage door. So, I went out to look and noticed first that the track was higher to get over the entry door opening into the garage. Then I saw this spring on top of the door. I realize its called a torsion spring...? anyway, I saw issues with the "standard" garage door openers that have that track. I won't be able to reach the door because the top track is about 18" to 2ft away from the top of the door? I did a search and found these IDrive openers? They mount right on the torsion spring and turn from there.... Anyone done one of these? Are they terribly complicated? I WAS going to do the standard door opener, but not too sure about this one since I never heard of it before... Any info would be appreciated. Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 02:17 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
It sounds like you are describing you door has high lift track added to move the horizontal up to accommodate for a pass door next to it? if so there are several ways around this. First i would stay away from the "I" drive, they are troublesome. Second you could get a liftmaster model 3800 jack shaft opener, it hooks directly to the torsion tube on the side of the door. Third you could install a regular opener with an extra long arm provided you have enough room above the torsion spring to mount it to the front wall.

Old 03-17-09, 03:53 PM
The I-drive is a product of Wayne Dalton. I have only done two of these and have had few problems with either customer. I have, however, had problems getting in touch with Wayne Dalton. Good product, lousy service.

Old 03-17-09, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
They work pretty well when paired with a WD door...from talking to several independent companies that sell and install them. The retrofit openers to other than WD doors seemed to be more problematic.

Old 03-18-09, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Doorman2722 View Post
Second you could get a liftmaster model 3800 jack shaft opener, it hooks directly to the torsion tube on the side of the door.
I have this one and I love it. Here are a few pics of it installed.

Jimmy

Wall mounted switch with tempurature and time display. Also has motion sensor to open the light when I walk into the garage from the inside.

Also, it comes with an automatic lock. (Black box).

Old 03-19-09, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the responses... I'm still on the fence as to wether or not I can tackle this one... the arm would have to be real long to reach the door because of how high the track had to be. It almost appears that I should put another panel on the door to bring it UP to the spring... can't figure out how to insert an image here...Stuff009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! ... if you look here you'll see what's happening...

Old 03-19-09, 02:28 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tatespa View Post
Thanks for all the responses... I'm still on the fence as to wether or not I can tackle this one... the arm would have to be real long to reach the door because of how high the track had to be. It almost appears that I should put another panel on the door to bring it UP to the spring... can't figure out how to insert an image here...Stuff009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! ... if you look here you'll see what's happening...
Oh, looks like you have a "Ranor American classic" Good door, I have installed a dummy panel to hook the opener before, but looking at it I think even a 21inch section would be too tall and tip back in the radius too much. Your best bet is to extend the opener arm or go with the torsion mounted opener. You could always have it professionally installed. Make sure if you do go with a traditional opener to brace the top of the top section with angle iron (attach it to the two end mullions and the center mullion) Also your torsion springs need to be lubed with a light coat of oil, I'll bet they chatter like crazy when your door goes up and down

Old 03-20-09, 05:13 AM
Sounds like its not really a big deal then? I am trying to have it done, but it really doesn't look like its gonna happen in time. Supposed to be a surprise!! =D I was going to attempt it with my brother in law but the long reach kind of scared me! If the install doesn't come through I think I may go for it!! We're pretty handy!! heh heh!!! I also saw the liftmaster 8 something that mounts on the torsion bar. Large dollars for it though! Thanks for the help Doorman! I'll oil that spring tonight when I get home!! I'll post again if and when its done!

Old 03-26-09, 04:47 AM
Well, its done! I ended up going to Sears and buying an opener and had them do the install. (not enough confidence on this one) It took him an hour and a half to do it. The ONLY think I'm concerned with it the arm that runs from the track to the door is about 28" long.... and there is a bit of deflection in the rail when the door is going down. I hope this doesn't shorten the life of the opener. But, all in all, I am happy with the opener and the service. Thank you Overhead doors!!!! And, thanks to you guys for helping me make a decision! Paul

Old 04-08-09, 06:12 PM
I drive doors

Just a quick note on the IDrive openers. A few years ago I purchased 2 or both the WD insulated doors and the Idrives. One is still installed and works like a charm. The other was noting but grief and after 2 replacements and about 100 calls to WD-and it has been noted before- never get any one to answer the phone- I finally went to sears and bought a sears opener to replace it and threw the IDrive in the trash. I love the concept and the quiteness and the speed of the opener. But, since we actually keep out cars in the garage, I need one that works. Right afterI purchased them, they pulled them from the market for a couple of years, but they did not want to hear about any replacement offers.

Old 04-09-09, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 23 Posts
Note to tatespa on images:

You need to insert the actual URL for the image rather than the webpage address when you use the "Image" function. Not sure how that works in Flickr; in Photobucket each image in your gallery shows specific links to be used for that purpose.