Anchoring shed to ground

Old 03-25-09, 10:01 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Anchoring shed to ground

I hope im posting in the right place. Wanting to build something around an 8'x10' shed in the backyard.

What would be my best option for securing it other than a slab. I was thinking of pouring some 3' deep x 12" footers. Would it be better to put some treated 4x4's in this and then nail the 2x6 floor joists to them or not use any 4x4's and just use some of those simpson things that have a U shaped bracket at one end that you slide the wood down into and nail from both sides?

I live here on the Mississippi coast and a building permit is not required for anything under 120sq feet whtat doesnt have power. Am trying to just make sure that it wont blow over and is secure. I thought one of these two methods would be easier and cheeper than trying to use the screen in ground anchors.

Thanks,

Carito

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-09, 01:57 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Were it me, I would go with concrete pilings with anchor screws embedded in the concrete.
Then the 4 x 4 holders could be bolted to the pilings and the treated 4 x 4's attached to the holders.

Your location probably has a high water table and plenty of termites, so I would not want any direct wood contact with the soil.

Old 03-25-09, 02:50 PM
C
that sounds good. kinda what I was thinking. Another question I have though is if I use 4x4's and then brackets to hand 2x4 for the joists and deck that. will it hold the weight of a 4 wheeler or would using 2 2x6's sandwhiched around the outside and then hainging 2x6's for joists be a better option

Old 03-25-09, 05:47 PM
M
I did this on my shed at my last house. I built a 8x10 free standing deck and I found some of these screw in ground anchors. They went in about 3 feet and then I just put a eye bolt through each of the 4 corners and tied them down with a turn buckle, to this day it is still there.