Looking for secure keypad

Old 03-31-09, 06:17 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Looking for secure keypad

Hi,

I would like to add a secure keypad on the outside of the garage door allowing me to open the door with a code.
I probably have to use a universal model.

I'm somewhat concerned with the models I saw as they have the dip switches in the case. It seems one could smash the case, access the wire and open the door. Are there any two parts openeres? The keypad only on the outside, some digital communication to the inside where the code is processed?

Old 04-01-09, 03:30 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Old 04-01-09, 03:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure I understand the question. All keypads are secure. They require the proper code to work, and cannot be reprogrammed without access to the opener(receiver). What type of opener do you have?? If it can receive a remote signal, then that company probably has a compatible keypad.

Old 04-02-09, 06:24 AM
D
Well, maybe I'm to concerned.

BTW. I have a Allstar 6500 garage door opener. it comes with the old-fashioned looking wireless button openers. Programmed with dip switches.

Would this work?
Allstar,Allister Garage Door Opener Parts, Remotes, Keypads at SuperiorDoorParts.com

About my security:
- I assume that the 315Mhz communication is not scrambled? In theory could be recorded and replayed? I don't think I have rolling code and things.
- some of the wired models have a dip switch inside. I was concluding that they act simply as an advanced open button. So there is a cable going back into the garage. If I could rip the keypad of the wall I could shorten the wires. Or am I wrong?

Old 04-02-09, 02:33 PM
D
Your opener is just not state of the art. The dip switches are there to allow you to set the code or change the code if you happened to settle on one the same as your neighbor. The wires going from an older keypad cannot be shorted and cause the door to open. It still sends an radio signal plus the code set by the dip switches and this is what operates the door. I would really be surprised if you can still purchase one of those old keypads.

Old 04-02-09, 02:56 PM
D
I wonder if I should upgrade my system. Is it possible to replace the wireless receiver and keypads?

Old 04-02-09, 09:56 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yes, I just replaced my mother in laws old 4 DIP receiver and remotes with a genie rolling code and remotes. Do a search on the "net" . I paid about $ 60 for the receiver and two remotes. You would probably add $ 25 - 35 for a wireless keypad.

Old 04-03-09, 06:02 AM
D
Goldstar is right but now you are looking at close to 2/3rds the cost of a new safer more modern opener. DIY installation of course.

Old 04-04-09, 10:33 AM
D
I have an Allstar 6500 that has the receiver on the back as indicated in the manual:
http://www.allstarcorp.com/Manuals/D...es/108391c.pdf

It seems that the main brands offering "rolling code" upgrades are: Genie and Liftmaster, correct?

Can I use either to replace my existing module? Can both be installed to the back of the unit?

About cost: after doing some google it seems that I have to pay about $80.- for a receiver and two transmitters. In addition: the key pad.

Old 04-04-09, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Why not spend another $75 or so and get a new opener with all the items you desire. Much better than putting $100 or so into the old one.

Heres one for instance....Genie Company AC Screw Drive 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener - H6000A2-K at The Home Depot

I'm sure Sears, Lowes, etc have comparable deals.

Old 04-05-09, 06:58 AM
D
Yes, I could even get a belt drive model!
I think I'm close replacing the whole thing. I wanted to avoid the additional work.

BTW. I found that Allstar offers new radio's as well:
http://www.allstarcorp.com/Manuals/R...ls/111676a.pdf

Is this rolling code? Is it normal that I have to program a 9 digit code?

Old 04-05-09, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It does not look like it uses a rolling code. Its just an electronic programming instead of 9 dip switches. If you read further it says the receiver can also use the old style dip switch remotes.

If it used secure technology, it would be advertised as such.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: