Garage Door Opens after power outage

Old 04-05-09, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Garage Door Opens after power outage

I have a Sears model 139.53415SR garage door opener.

When the power goes off in an electric storm and is then later resumed the garage door opens.

Is this a design in the opener model for safety or is it a flaw?

If there is a power outage in the middle of the night (lightning storm) we have to wake up and close the garage door for security purposes.

Terry Miller

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-09, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does it do this if you unplug it..then plug it back in?

I'd do all the adjustments to the motion limits and force adjustments. It may somehow be detecting it is in the wrong position.

Do you have the safety sensors installed? It could be the opener is powering faster than the sensors, so it is detecting a blockage.

You can get the manual at Manage My Home - Find Product Manuals, Search Results - ManageMyHome.com. May require a short registration.

Old 04-06-09, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is not designed in it is a flaw. Quite a bit has to happen to get that opener to run and turning the power off and on isn't near enough. I would suspect the wall button or the wiring to it first. You can disable the door button and wiring by removing the connection at terminal 1 on the rear of the opener. Your remotes will still work. Then you just have to wait for an electrical storm.