need help asap

Old 04-07-09, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help asap

I'm needing to build a 20x30 storage building.As much as I would LOVE to have a concrete pad,I just cannot afford the $800 for it,so I'm having to build it on concrete blocks with a wood flooring.I know I have to build a ?beam?(can't remember what it's called) for the floor joists.I'll have one running the 30ft span.Will I not have to have a beam running the 30ft span for the roof also?And will osb sandwiched between 2 2x8s be sufficient?If anyone has a material list of this size that would be AWESOME if you could share them with me,or plans?I just need to get this thing built like now and need help!Thanks so much in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-09, 04:37 PM
In our area, that is called a garage and requires a permit, which requires drawings, and a foundation, and all the stuff that goes with constructing a building. Why use short cuts, you are only cheating yourself. If the 'storage building' is not properly supported, you may end up replacing it in 5 yrs. Have you considered one of those prefab buildings heavily advertised??

Old 04-08-09, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Building

Have you compared the cost of a wood floor and framing to concrete?

Old 04-08-09, 03:40 PM
If the concrete is only $800 you should do it. The 3/4" plywood alone for a 20 x 30 floor is at least $475, then you have the joist, probably another $500, then the beam, nails, labor (what is your time worth?).

Maybe you should put up a pole barn with a dirt floor.

Bill

Old 04-08-09, 07:02 PM
Concrete Floor

I just got a quote for a 25 x 20 concrete floor - 6" pad with footer and it is for 1900. If you can get that size done for 800, that is a steal. Make usre it is thick enough and has footers to bear the weight. I think not at that price.