garage door opener slipping

Old 05-03-09, 02:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
garage door opener slipping

Hi everyone,

My garage door just started having a slipping problem and it appears pretty dangerous. The motor of the opener appears to work and the chain moves forward and back like it is supposed to. However, the latch that connects the door to the chain comes loose of the chain about half way up and the door slams down.

If I lift the door manually and engage the door to the chain while it is up, it can come down smoothly, but it looks like the emergency release releases on its' own while trying to lift the door. It looks like it is properly engaged. I never paid that much attention to the chain before but i was thinking the chain might have too much slack. Do you think tightening the chain would help? I am pretty handy, but if it is a complicated thing, i will get someone since i don't want the door dropping on my car or my kids.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-09, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If the door slams down, the springs need to be adjusted before anything else. Even if it slips out of the release (not good!)...it should stay wherever it pops loose. Check for broken springs, does the door operate smoothly and quietly manually, will it stay anywhere in the middle 2/3 of the opening w/o rolling up or slamming down when operated manually? If no to anything, the door needs maintenance before you worry about the opener.

I'm betting misadjusted or broken spring...not to say the release on the trolley might not be worn. Some need to be pushed up and locked in, to latch securely, and old dried up lube could cause it to stick and not fully engage.

Old 05-03-09, 04:42 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the spring. The door just slams down and is not able to hold itself up at all. I looked at the spring and it is physically intact, but I don't know much about springs and i think this one is over my head. I think i will give someone a call.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-09, 07:54 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it is a torsion spring ( one that is above the door opening ) it is sometimes hard to see the break. Whether a break or just out of adjustment, call in a pro. We want you back to report what the problem was and how it was resolved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: