Proposed 2nd floor addition to garage

Old 05-06-09, 09:24 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proposed 2nd floor addition to garage

I am considering adding a second floor to my existing 28X30 three car garage. I would like to, if possible, avoid having to install any beam supports other than those at each end. I also would like to know how to determine the support beam size and composition. The space will be used for hobby work and a home office area. The live load will be approximately 40 psf and the dead load will be 20 psf. The span from the beam to the exterior wall will be 16 feet. The second floor will be one open room.

Old 05-06-09, 12:12 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi HAP and welcome to the board. Since you will probably be pulling a permit, your local code office or AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) would be able to tell you what is required. Some will want a set of official drawings from an engineer or architect. Some may accept the specifications that come with a beam. My lumber yard provides a spec sheet. Although the group that posts here, not me, are certainly qualified to judge what is needed, you'll want something more than "I heard it on the internet" as justification for your choice. There are also other considerations dealing with living space over a garage that my vary by location.

Good Luck,
Bud

Old 05-08-09, 11:23 PM
As A builder I want to say that Bud9051 did such an impressive post that I have nothing to say but good Job Bud9051!!! Covered it all !!!!!

HAP I follow bud on this one and have it right..

Old 05-11-09, 02:42 PM
Just to reiterate, I agree you will need to be in the good graces of your building code people. Here are a few more things they may tell you: living space above a garage will require extra fire separation. A lot of the time this is as simple as 2x layer gyp. board, you may already have one layer. This protection is needed since garages are classified as "hazardous" areas.

Also, they will/may want to see something in writing from an engineer that everything checks out. Things like the existing window and garage door headers are the most at risk here probably.

I would like to, if possible, avoid having to install any beam supports other than those at each end.
That's a good idea. That way you only be adding 2 footings and not cutting into your slab for a 3rd.

I also would like to know how to determine the support beam size and composition
Steel. Engineer. But so you can get an idea of the price I'll give you a ballpark figure: 16'x40psfx28' = 18k. Nothing less than a W12x22 will do it (AISC steel manual).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: