Bypassing Garage Door Opener Safety Sensor

Old 05-12-09, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypassing Garage Door Opener Safety Sensor

Is there a way to pretend a garage door opener does not have the modern safety sensors? I have a Chamberlain Model 995XD that stopped working properly in the down direction. After some investigation I discovered the trick of holding the button of the
wired control until the door closed. Further investigation showed the receiving safety sensor had failed. After several calls, Chamberlain finally agreed with me and promises to send
a replacement. How can I rig the system so the door operates normally until the replacement part arrives, supposedly within two weeks. There are no kids or pets here and I can not be under the door while sitting in the car in the driveway.

There is a Chamberlain 9950 on the other door. Might that receiver sensor be hooked to both openers?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-09, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No way that I know of..it can't just be jumpered or left out of the circuit.

As to using the other for both...no clue..but you could wind up with 2 bad sensors if you do.

Old 05-13-09, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Designed to not be possible

The design of most brands is so similar that they even have the same error codes, 1 for open, 2 for short or reversed, 3 ???,
4 misaligned, 5 overheated, 6 bad board. The systems are designed to make it impossible to bypass the safety subsystem. Nanny will be obeyed. The sensors are powered from the main opener unit, and the all ok signal is some complex signal that is piggyback on the power. The signal from the sending sensor to the receiving sensor is near infrared. Some digital cameras and video cameras can see that frequency. This can help you determine which unit is failing, sender or receiver. I know none of this first hand. It is just information I encountered while searching. I'm reposting it here in hopes it will help others.

Old 05-13-09, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ahh Ok..I thought you were answering your own questioen..lol.

And absolutely right about the similarities..have to remember....many many openers are marketed under one name, but are made by someone else. Most Craftsman are Chamberlain, though I believe they may carry some renamed Genie. I think Overhead door is Genie...., etc etc.
Don't take any of that as gospel..getting warm here and my brain slows down.