Adjusting garage door overhead track

Old 06-01-09, 07:18 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adjusting garage door overhead track

I am getting ready to move into a new home, and I have an issue with the garage door track. I will be building a room inside the garage for my drums, to try and cut down on sound. However, the garage door is a 7' door, and the overhead track is low enough to limit how high I can make this room. I am thinking about adding about 6-8" of vertical track to the existing setup, and then just moving all the overhead components up that same distance. The springs are located as shown as item 5 in the image, not item 6.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I imagine I would need to take the tension out of the torsion springs in order to do this safely, but I can't think of anything else that would be a major issue. The top set of rollers on the door are in the curve currently, but they have adjustments that would let them slide and be in line with the other rollers.

Would it be possible to move just the track and leave all the other springs/wire as is, so that the tension does not need to be adjusted?

Old 06-01-09, 04:02 PM
J
There are different track heights available, check with the manufacturer. They can likely help.

Old 06-01-09, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yeah..I don't think its as simple as you'd like. If you raise the tracks..you would prob need to raise the springs as well, if you want the door to open fully. The springs will need adjustment no matter what, and possibly longer lift wires.

Is there an opener installed?

If you never plan to open the door..and you are buying..just secure it in place and remove the track.

Old 06-20-09, 07:32 PM
D
Raising the door

What you are trying to do is called highlift. If your door has springs in position 5, they are called torsion sorings. Your cables will not be long enough nor will you have the proper cable drums for highlift. If you only need to go up only 6", then an option may be to purchase a larger radius track. Typical doors have either 12" or 15" radius track. Raising to 20" will solve your issue. Measure floor to door height and then floor to ceiling height. If you have 20+" of difference you can fit in 20" radius. You will still need to have the proper cables. There is no shortcut to making this change as any attempt to
do otherwise will cause the counterbalance of the door to be off.
To accomplish this you would probably be best served to contact your local professional for advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: