Who makes the best garage door/opener (shopping for one now)?

Old 08-16-09, 05:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Who makes the best garage door/opener (shopping for one now)?

My garage door opener died. Bought the home two years back, an all brown house of cedar siding, with WHITE garage door

I want a new brown door. I know I can paint it, but I want a nicer steel door, perhaps with windows to let some light in as the garage has no windows. I also plan to dry wall the ceiling at the same time.

Can anyone tell me who makes the best garage door/opener. I read about the Wayne Daulton and their new "I Drive" motors, but I am unfamiliar with that style. I will be ordering sight unseen unfortunately so I could use some help. Long story short, the wife and I work out of state and will be home for a short time in Sept when I plan to have the door installed and the ceiling sheet rocked. Any suggestions on garage doors?

Thanks for any and all thoughts

Old 08-16-09, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
WD doors are good..I just don't like the way they finish the interior. They use a good spray insulation..but then its covered with a sort of composite "skin". As I said..I just don't like the look...it's hard to explain. You should be able to go to a Lowes and see them, I believe they sell them back east. It seems WD doors also used non-standard hardware (hinges and such), but its been too long to say for sure.

The I-Drives had problems when they first came out..not sure if its been fixed completely. They were constantly going out of adjustment. Big door company back in VA refused to install them when I was there, too many call backs. And they are pretty pricy! If keeping the area above the door clear is important though, they may be the only option.

Personally I like fully insulated Clopay doors (Premium series) with with interior steel skin. They come in 2" and 1 3/8" for a little cost saving. Very good sound deadening and insulation value. If those things are important to you, you would need to go with the insulated windows as well.

I also like the Genie screw drive openers. Quality, quiet, low maintenance.
I'm sure Chamberlain is also good (they make Sears), I just happen to prefer Genie.

Both Genie and Clopay have good cust service in my experience, haven't heard the same about WD.

Old 08-16-09, 12:08 PM
D
Liftmaster hands down beats all. The Wayne Dalton is a piece of crap with no customer service and most dealers that install it will not service it afterwards. Too many problems. Check the yellow pages for a Liftmaster dealer.

Old 08-16-09, 12:10 PM
D
Liftmaster hands down. Wayne Dalton is a piece of crap with poor customer service and most of their dealers will not service them after they install them. Check your yellow pages for a Liftmaster dealer. I am talking about openers here not doors.

Old 08-16-09, 02:52 PM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Clopay or Raynor door co. for the doors, Liftmaster belt drive for an opener

Old 08-16-09, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I just don't like belt drives..at least the few I had/dealt with. No maintenance required, granted..but they are basically a chain drive with a belt instead of a chain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: