Can't Close Garage Door with Remote

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-09, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't Close Garage Door with Remote

I have a Sears GDO that I installed 14 years ago. Chain drive. Worked fine. But now, all of a sudden, it will not close with the remote control. It will open with the remote, and it opens and closes with the wall switch.

I tried the 2nd remote, same problem. Installed new battery in boty. I can open the door from 100 feet away, but cannot close it with the remote even if I stand directly under the control head.

Suggestions? Looks like the electronics died.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 10:31 AM
Does the main light flash 10 times and the door reverse to the open position when you try to close it with the remote? If so you have a door sensor problem. Each of them has a small light that has to be lit for them to work properly. If they are not pointed at one another one of the lights will be out. Tweak them and see if you can get the lights to come on. If not you either have bad sensors or the wiring to them.

Old 08-17-09, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
14 y/o opener may not have sensors.....well...hmmm when were they required?

Anyway..if it does have sensors..do as Donald said.

Do you have to hold the interior button or just push it once and it goes down? Holding it def means a sensor issue.

If adjusting sensors doesn't help...try unplugging the unit for about 15 min or so..then reconnecting. You shouldn't have to do any reprogramming..your unit probably uses DIP switches inside the remote and motor unit.

Old 08-17-09, 12:03 PM
Sensors were required on all door openers in 1991.

Old 08-17-09, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
thx Donald...I was thinking maybe '93....good to know.

Hey..I just searched...seems it was '93...though they may have been included earlier by some makers.

Anyway....lets see if we hear back about the problem...

Old 08-17-09, 03:38 PM
Gunguy you are correct it was 1993. I've been wrong for a long time now.

Old 08-18-09, 11:08 AM
No, the safety system works fine. I lower the door uwing the hard-wired wall switch and the door comes down. It does reverse if I break the sensor beam or physically hold the door from closing.

My guess it's a problem with the internal electronics. And if so, guess I'm in the market for a new opener. Maybe I can find one with just the head...

Other ideas what the problem could be?

Old 08-18-09, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Did you try unplugging it for a period of time? What about holding vs pushing the interior button?

All the remote does is send a signal..it doesn't know whether the door is up or down. If it opens..it should also close.

That said..a 14 y/o opener is pretty old..it sure wouldn't hurt to replace it. The newer ones are safer and have more features.

Old 08-18-09, 01:28 PM
We seem to be going around in circles. What I would like for you to do is try closing the door with your remote and let us know what happens. Just the facts.

Old 08-20-09, 07:18 PM
The garage door will always open with the remote even from 100 feet away.

It will not close with the remote no matter how close I am to the housing. I tried two remotes with new batteries.

I unplugged the opener for an hour and then plugged it back in as suggested. Same problem.

Thanks for helping out!

Old 08-21-09, 01:19 PM
You say it won't close. What does it do? Any noise? Does it start to run and then reverse? Something must be happening. Will it close when you use the wall control? Do you have to hold the button? Do you have door sensors? The electronics didn't die or it wouldn't open. Any clues will help us help you.

Old 09-01-09, 10:37 PM
Garage opens and closes with wall button but not remotes

I have the same problem. I programmed my car's garage door remote button to open and close my garage door. It's been working for about a year. All of a sudden now, I can open the door and close it sometimes, but the majority of the time, I open it in the morning with the car button, then have to get out and run in the garage and hit the button on the wall and run out without the sensors catching me. When I get home later, it opens with the car button, but then sometimes will or won't close with it. I still have the hand held remote the opener came with, and that sometimes works or doesn't, like the car button. It's so frustrating. Mine is a Lift-Master brand. Can someone help? ! Thanks

Old 09-02-09, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First, check that the antenna wire on the opener is not shorted, bunched up, or otherwise blocked by the opener. Second, reprogram the opener. If those don't cure it, the receiver may have a partial loss of a of it's rf circuitry. This can happen if there was a close lightening strike in the area. You will then need to replace the receiver.

Old 09-09-09, 05:41 PM
UPDATE:

Well, the thing is really on it's death throws. Now I have to hold the remote inside the light housing right next to the circuit board to get the door to close OR open from the remote.

Circuit board = $90 + 9% tax.

New belt drive opener = $180 +0% tax.

I'm now in the process of installing the new opener.

Old 09-10-09, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, it lasted 14 years, not bad. Probably cost about the price they are now asking for the circuit board. I think you will enjoy your belt drive.

Old 08-06-14, 04:29 PM
Garage door REMOTE opens door but won't shut door --> I solved the problem.To be exact, with the remote when trying to close the door it won't move at all or make any sound or anything, but it does open the door.

And to be clearer... It's not a safety sensor problem, where the door might go down a little bit and then go back up.

-None of the remotes or the button in my car will close the garage door.

-Both of the safety sensor led lights are solid and working fine.

-The antenna wire and connection look good.

-The wall switch works both opening and closing.

I read online from someone else having the same exact problem that when he removed the light bulbs from the garage door opener unit and kept them out, the remote would in fact close the garage door.

Thats great, but I want my lights to work, and after reading the above, I got an idea about how I could maybe fix this and keep the lights in the unit.

So, on my wall switch there is the 1) Main Switch Button, 2) Light Button 3) Lock Button.

So I started my testing procedures:

(A) I pushed the Lock button and the led light would blink fast on the Main Switch Button. I then tested the remotes to see if the door would close - it would not. I then pressed the button again so the led light would be solid again, like it was normally before.

(B) So, since the person above said that it worked when he took the light bulbs out, I thought why don't I just turn the light off from the wall switch and see if the remote closes the door, and It Did Close The Door!

But in the above situation (B), I won't be standing in the garage when I'm in my car leaving the house, LOL

(C) I then pressed the wall button to close the door and used my foot to block the safety sensor beam so the garage door would then go up (like it should) and the lights would blink (like it should). I then tested the remote again and it did in fact close the door with the light on

Note: I notice that the problem might have started happening after I replace a burnt light bulb.

So, (C) is the answer to this problem... at least my problem

Old 08-06-14, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums. That is a unique fix. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-28-14, 03:45 PM
I had the same problem. It was a direct result of putting new LED light bulbs in the GDO. when the bulbs were on there was interference from them that affected the reception of the signal from the remotes. When the bulbs were off the remotes worked great. So if you have this problem... Change your bulbs to the incandescent or CFL.

Old 01-07-15, 05:46 AM
it was the LED!

I was having the same problem. Garage door would open with remote, but not shut. I followed the advice and changed the LED back to an incandescent and it worked! Thank you! I wonder what it is that causes this to happen? I've also notice that LEDS will interfere with the TV signaLs from antenna.

Old 09-20-15, 05:07 PM
Same issue, fixed!

Lighting had struck nearby and blown out a light bulb on the opener. After, I'd had the same issue where the remote would open the door but not close it. After opening up the light shade, I noticed that I had replaced the blown bulb with a 75w bulb and there is a 60w max. Removed the bulb and problem solved!

Old 09-20-15, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's rather unusual that the unit worked fine with the 60w bulb but not the 75w one. They usually limit the size of the bulb to keep the lens from melting.

Anyway.... thanks for the additional info.

I can see by the page views that this is a common problem with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs have a 120v to low voltage inverter circuit in them that generates noise that masks the weak transmitter signal from reaching the receiver. Using rough service bulbs or ceiling fan bulbs is the best route.

This thread will be sent to our searchable archives where it will always be available for future reference. If you have a further problem..... please feel free to start a new thread.

Closed Thread