Garage door not working - light flashing 5 times

Old 10-07-09, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door not working - light flashing 5 times

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose the problem I am having with my Liftmaster 1260 garage door opener. Here are the specifics:

- My wife accidentally opened and closed the door a few times in quick succession.
- The next time we tried using it the door wouldn't open or close.
- The unit is plugged in.
- Whether you use the remote or the wall panel, the unit will only make a clicking noise, the light bulb will go on, and then the green LED button flashes five times, goes off, then repeats.
- The motor makes no sound. There is no humming.
- The gears are fine...no snow.
- The trolley and chain appear to not be obstructed by anything.
- The infrared security sensors appear to be working fine. They both are clear of obstructions, are aligned well, and have their LED lights on indicating a clear line of sight.
- I've manually pulled the door open and closed without any issues.

My understanding is that the 5 blinks of the LED indicate an RPM sensor failure or a logic board failure. I don't visually see anything wrong with either. I believe if it was an RPM sensor failure the motor would still work and the door would open or close a bit before it stops. Since this is not happening, I am assuming it is not an RPM sensor failure. So, I am concluding it is a logic board failure. Before I buy a new logic board I was hoping someone of greater knowledge might confirm/revise my conclusion.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-09, 01:50 PM
You've done your homework pretty well. The code for the 5 flashes is "RPM sensor or motor overload". The code for logic board failure is 6 flashes. I agree the motor would run for a bit if it were the RPM sensor. There is a thermal protector in the motor that turns the motor off when it gets hot but it (normally) resets itself after about 15 minutes. Now sometimes the trolley jams against a bolt just in front of the motor unit but the complaint is the door wont close. If this isn't your case I would think the motor is bad. They are expensive.

Old 10-08-09, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the input. Yeah, it's nothing to do with the trolley jamming. In prior posts I've read elsewhere for people with similar problems, I have always seen it suggested that it is unlikely for the motor to fail and that it is more likely to be the logic board (even when the LED is flashing 5 times rather than 6). However, I don't want to waste my money on a new logic board if it is in fact the motor. So, I'm hoping someone can confirm it is likely the logic board in these types of situations.

Old 10-08-09, 06:40 PM
Unplug motor to reset.

Try to operate motor unit, check diagnostic code.

If motor unit does not operate, motor unit is overheated. Wait 30 minutes and retry. If motor still does not operate, replace logic board.
Be safe, Gary

Old 10-08-09, 10:57 PM
Right. I did the whole unplug and wait for 30+ minutes thing. Still no good.

So, you suggest it's the logic board. Ok. I'm thinking the same thing.

Old 10-25-09, 08:05 AM
Did you end up replacing the logic board? I have the same symptoms and am wondering what I need to replace.

Old 01-10-10, 06:42 PM
This is not a reply and this is a question related to your reply.

Actually, I am having the below problem described in your reply to this problem.
"Now sometimes the trolley jams against a bolt just in front of the motor unit but the complaint is the door wont close."

My problem is the garage door is not closing frequently (while opening part is fine).
When I press the close button, the door started to move for close, but after a very short travel, the door went back to opening position. During this period, it seemed like the trolley was stuck after a short move - the trolley is not moving smoothly near the motor side and the light is blinking several times. Since my garage door is not closing well, I pulled the trolley arm for manual mode and then tested to see the trolley is moving fine or not. I have found the same problem that means the problem is not related to the door - I mean the problem looks like trolley itself plus trolley rail.

Do anyone have any clue?

Old 01-11-10, 07:40 AM
It is not the logic board. Most likely the RPM sensor board which is a small printed circuit board just in front of the motor.

Old 01-11-10, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check the sensors located on either side of the door opening, near the bottom. If either one is blinking, that will stop the door from closing and cause it to go back up. Re aim them at each other until you get a steady light from both - then try the door.

Old 06-20-10, 02:17 PM
Help please, Chamberlain powerdrive garage door opener HD400DM

Hi, i just bought TWO chamberlain powerdrive HD400DM, however, none of them work... it's blinking 5 times, even after i reseted it... but the main problem is, i have everything set up right, the sensors are aligned, steady lights...

even when it's not blinking 5 times, it's still not functioning, i pressed on the remote and it goes a few inches, but fully reverse and stop after that few inches...

i took the motor down, disconnected the chains, the same thing happens, few inches and then reverse... i dont see any obstruction, the sensors are connected and working... since the chains are not connected, i dont think the problem is the trolley jam...

can anyone help me with this?

Old 06-21-10, 03:11 PM
The light blinking 5 times confuses me because you have 2 openers acting the same exact way. How could they both have bad RPM sensors? Anyway check to make sure you have the door sensors wired correctly. The solid white wire from each sensor goes to terminal #2 and the white wires with the black tracer from each sensor goes to terminal #3. Just in case the RPM sensor is a small printed circuit board just in front of the motor with 4 wires going to it.

Old 06-21-10, 03:18 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I think you will get the RPM sensor code (5blinks) if the up/down force needs to be increased. I.E. the opener thinks the door is hitting something and reversing, thats the function of the rpm sensor. try increasing the force

Old 08-12-11, 06:30 AM
I have the same symptoms, with one exception. The light bulbs won't go on either. I hear the clicking noise when I push the button and I get the LED flashing 5 times (so I know the unit is getting power). I've also tried one of the light bulbs in a lamp to make sure it works. Doesn't really sound like an RPM thing to me. Maybe the logic board? That would seem to be the most logical (pardon the pun) thing to explain the lights not going on either.

Thanks,

joe.

Old 08-12-11, 01:31 PM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is the logic board