Help Needed - garage door opener

Old 02-27-10, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Needed - garage door opener

I just moved into a new house and bought unversal garage door openers to replace the rather ancient ones that came with the place. However, I'm having trouble programming the remotes to work with the opener.

The house has an Overhead Door opener, model 456 and the instructions with the universal remotes say I have to use the smart/learn button on the opener to program the remotes...the problem is I can't find the button! The only buttones I can find are labeled 1, 2 and 3. When we tried to use those, it didn't appear to work, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice from someone who knows a whole lot more about this stuff than I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have a different model Overhead Door opener. On mine, you must open the light cover on the front (two screws) and the learn button is then visible on the front left. Maybe yours is in the same location.

Old 02-28-10, 02:04 PM
Button 3 on the right is labeled SC on the back plate. It stands for "set code". Push that button and the light will blink one time. Push the remote button and the light will blink twice. push the remote again, the light will blink 3 times. Keep doing this till the light blinks 5 times. push the remote one more time and wait for the light to come on for a few seconds and go off. this will program your new transmitters and erase the old ones. I'm talking about the light on the front, not the green light in the back.

Old 01-09-11, 12:12 PM
Just like 'annasmommy' posted, I followed directions with a replacement remote (Clicker Universal Garage Door Opener Remote Control KLIK1U) several times and can NOT get it to 'take'. Any suggestions specific to Overhead Door 456 adn this remote would be appreciated. I'm wondering if even though it states on the package that it is compatible, that this is incorrect.

Old 01-09-11, 12:15 PM
Has anyone actually gotten a Clicker

Universal Garage Door Opener Remote Control
to work with an Overhead Door Model 456? I have yet to read of anyone who has.

Annasmommy, what did you end up doing?

Old 01-10-11, 01:55 PM
The button on the right programs the remote. Press it then hold the remote button down for 5 seconds until the light on the machine turns on then off.