Tricky Situation. Extend attached garage?

Old 05-29-10, 01:09 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tricky Situation. Extend attached garage?

Okay, I am not even sure if this is possible or if it can be done efficiently and affordably. I just go a new house and the garage is very small and tight. I was curious if its practical, possible and affordable to extend it some how.

here is the house:

If its just unaffordable or not practical, feel free to say so. Ive got little experience with homes and what not and this is the first home ive had.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Marlboro; 05-29-10 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Fixed picture
Old 05-29-10, 05:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's possible & practical. I don't if it's affordable. How much money do you have? Would you want to make the door wider too?

Don't forget that normally, a permit is required to extend the structure. Did you intend to file plans with the building dept?

Old 05-30-10, 01:31 PM
M
Ive not begun to look into permits yet. Yes I did plan to make the door a bit wider as well.
I dont have a whole lot of money so maybe this is just something that ill have to wait on.

My biggest reason for wanting to do this is because the garage serves no purpose. Its too small for a normal sized vehicle. So either I think I should try to widen it a little somehow or just scrap the garage and make it into a bedroom. Though Im sure that will cost money too, but perhaps itd be more affordable than even thinking about trying to widen the side of the house like id like to.

Im not sure where to even begin to look to get an idea on how this can be done, and at what cost.

Old 05-30-10, 03:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm sure that the bedroom idea is a less expensive than moving a wall. Assuming you are going to file for permits for either job, the first step is to have an architect look at it. If you are going to do it all yourself, it's a different process.

I have to make a 1/2 bath a full bath here & I am going to go the legal route. So the first thing I did was call an architect to draw plans. I happen to have worked with the guy in the past, so it's going smoothly so far.

Old 07-09-10, 07:39 AM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
garage extension

Possible ,however a lot of work will be necessary as it is not about adding a few bricks and a few tiles .Are you doing it yourself ? Do you have something in mind already?

Old 07-09-10, 07:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A lot of fixed cost for a project like this, probably wouldn't cost you a lot more to go from making it a usable single car garage to a two car garage instead

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: