Wet detached garage (Post Moved Here. Wrong Prior Forum)

Old 11-27-12, 05:23 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet detached garage (Post Moved Here. Wrong Prior Forum)

I bought our house 6 years ago and before we moved in I had an epoxy coating applied to the garage floor. The idea was that it would make cleaning easier and it does. The unintended consequence was that during the wet months, which are plentiful in Seattle, the water tracked in by our cars sits on top of the floor instead of soaking through an unsealed floor. After a while, moisture collects on the walls and ceilings and eventually turns to mold. The whole garage is finished and I am assuming that there is no insulation in the walls so as the temp drops outside the moisture collects on the painted drywall. Heating the 3 car garage is costly to say the least. I doubt that ventilation would help as the humidity outside generally is as high or higher than on the inside. Any suggestions?

Old 11-27-12, 06:31 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Get yourself a hygrometer for the garage so you know exactly what the conditions are. If ventilation isn't going to work, then you should get a dehumidifier.

Old 11-27-12, 07:53 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe what you need is a garage floor mat as that might shed the water better. As for heating the garage you could have a split type heat pump installed that doesn't require duct work. They are a bit expensive to have installed but once installed would help to dry things out. The nice thing is that you could have a bit of air conditioning too. I think you would only need one unit inside to keep the whole garage dry. I doubt you would need to run it long just an hour or two and then turn it off.

Old 11-28-12, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of paint is on the walls and ceiling? Generally a latex enamel will repel moisture/mildew better than flat paint. Adding extra mildewcide to the paint would also help..... or use a bath rm paint which already has the extra mildewcide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: