Is my keypad dead?

Old 06-06-10, 06:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my keypad dead?

I have a garage door opener that is working completely fine. The button on the wall works great.

However, the keypad, on the outside of the garage door no longer works. My remote buttons work when I am inside the garage, but when I step outside of the garage, they only work sometimes... and when I am about 10 feet back, not at all.

We had a few big thunderstorms in the past week - is it possible that one of the circuit boards could have gotten surged, and now is only working part way, and on its way to being dead? My whole system is wired - I went to the hardware store to just replace the keypad, but they are all wireless now, so I'm afraid that I'm stuck buying a whole new system....

Would anyone agree with me there? Or can I just replace the circuit board somehow?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 06-07-10, 10:07 AM
F
All of that information and not one word about make or model. If your opener is so old the keypad is hardwired you would be far ahead with a new opener.

Old 06-11-10, 05:23 PM
J
Originally Posted by figpickle View Post
All of that information and not one word about make or model.
Genie KEP-1 or KEP-1A, I'm not sure.
Does that help at all?

Old 06-11-10, 09:26 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Amazon has the KEP-1 keypad. It also has many complaints about their short lives. Since your receiver is having problems responding to your remotes, it is probably bad.
I agree with figpickle, it is time for a new opener.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: