issue

Old 06-27-10, 05:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
issue

I just removed indoor/outdoor flooring from a garage that was converted to football party area on a home I just bough last year. There is a lot of adhesive and left and I am wondering if I should use a electric floor scraper/buffer to clean off the concrete or a manual floor scraper before I try to apply epoxy to it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-10, 05:38 PM
Yes definitely get the adhesive up as well as any other prep recommended by the kit.

Determine how tough the adhesive will be to remove before bringing in rental equipment. I'm thinking floor scraper and maybe some stripper if you have residue left over.

You want a good prep because epoxy is durable and trouble free, but that's on a well prepped surface.

Old 06-29-10, 04:44 PM
Issue - adhesive

Before bringing in any rental equipment I would advise using an adhesive stripper and scrapper to remove as much excess adhesive as possible. Any adhesive left on the floor will gum up grinding/sanding disks. If you are going to apply epoxy paint to the floor remember to clean and ETCH the floor so that the epoxy will stand a better chance of lasting for a longer period of time. Many of my customers prefer to to use modular tile or rubber mats in traffic areas where the vehicles are parked. This helps eliminate moisture weakening and ultimately peeling the epoxy paint from the concrete

Old 06-30-10, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 151 Posts
Is the adhesive on the floor soft and gummy or hard and brittle? I would probably go right for a floor scraper to remove the bulk of the glue and then possibly a grinder to remove any remaining residue. The floor prep is critical to getting good adhesion so I don't like to skimp one bit on prep.