door opens halfway

Old 08-07-10, 04:59 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
door opens halfway

i have sears 1/2 hp garage door opener for double door. about 8 yrs old.

lately, it can stop about 3/5th way open. just stops. i can cycle it with any remote or wall switch, and will close - open full span without a problem. it's not major hassle from the outside, as we can see it doing this, but driving out, as my wife has an suv parked inside, already ended with that door hitting the car roof.

once again, it does not open all the way up, and does not do this regularly, just decides to stop there. cycle it - opens fine.

any ideas, before i get mad at it and replace it, instead of maybe a quick fix?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-10, 08:48 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
First with the door in down position, disconnect the door from the opener by pulling on red disconnect rope and try raising door up and down by hand. If it runs good by hand, the open force on the opener may need to be increased (two dials on the circuit board)

Old 08-08-10, 07:27 PM
this does make sense. i know opener has safety feature that prevents it from damaging something - or itself. will do, thank you.

also, i have noticed that the right hand side bottom door sensor had light blinking. i wiped the lens and re-checked on all the wires, now it's solid green. door didn't repeat the issue ever since (friday) but i shall go and check on door operation w-out opener next. door is slightly bent on the top, but we bought house like this and had no issues for 5 yrs with it.

Old 08-08-10, 07:46 PM
ok, here's what i did not notice before:
when door goes up, and stops about 1.5 panel height unopened, opener turns itself off. light turns off and it becomes non-functional for about 20 seconds.

i moved door up by hand, but can not tell if there's any excessive drag or something. heavy. that's it.

i increased up and down range of motion and increased up force from about 1 to about 3 on a dial.

Old 08-09-10, 03:31 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
ok, here's what i did not notice before:
when door goes up, and stops about 1.5 panel height unopened, opener turns itself off. light turns off and it becomes non-functional for about 20 seconds.
I have had that problem before, The circuit board is faulty and looses power randomly. cools down then re-sets. You need to replace it. Also just to info you the eye sensors are only a factor on the door closing nothing to do with it opening.

Old 08-09-10, 08:43 AM
yes, it does make sense. this problem is not repeatable 10 out of 10, it comes and goes.
who might be selling those circute boards? i am ok with plug n play devices, but if it's a major hassle, i'd rather replace the whole opener, just trying to avoid re-doing all the remotes, and we have way too many of those to fool with as a result.
then again, openers have learn function, right?
you ,ean, this board:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-CRAFTSMAN-...QQcmdZViewItem

it's quarter of the price of a new opener.... is it worth doing this and then waiting for something else to break down?

Old 08-09-10, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
We replace a couple circuit boards a year - our garage door and operator guy does this for us, so I can't help you on where to get a new one

Old 08-09-10, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"... heavy. that's it."

If your springs are adjusted properly it shouldn't be heavy. Some say you should be able to put door half way up and it should stay there, not go up or down. I like them a little tighter so if it's half way it will go up on its own.

Not sure if that is your only problem but it can't help.

Baldwin

Old 08-09-10, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
"... heavy. that's it."

If your springs are adjusted properly it shouldn't be heavy. Some say you should be able to put door half way up and it should stay there, not go up or down. I like them a little tighter so if it's half way it will go up on its own.

Not sure if that is your only problem but it can't help.

Baldwin
that might also be a contributing factor. it does feel heavy, and i am a very strong man. maybe springs started slipping on the shaft. and i can see how extra weight to pull may overload the motor, so the circuit board shuts it down.
looks like this starts building up in quite a project.

sears has direct replacement new 1/2 hp opener, but because of the security upgrade, remotes from the old one will not work. so, it's $129 direct replacement, or $159 with one remote and wall switch, or $189 with several remotes and outside wall mount remote.

i'll start with looking at them springs later tonight. it does feel heavy.