Neighbor can open garage after programming new remote

Old 08-07-10, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neighbor can open garage after programming new remote

I just bought a house and it only came with one garage opener. I bought a Chamberlain KLIK1U and programmed it and the remote is working correctly. EXCEPT I couldnt figure out why our garage door was open all the time until I learned my neighbor now has access to my garage. The unit is an old Chamberlain liftmaster 1155LM which is not up to code but I dont really have the $300 I was told it would cost to replace the unit. Then to top it off the original remote stopped working and I assumed it was a battery although that seemed like an odd coincidence. I bought new batteries for it and it just never worked again. So now I need another new remote but I really need my neighbors out of my garage. This is the manual for the unit.

All I can find is that you are supposed to hold down the learn button 6 seconds but this does not work. I tried undoing the power and have been doing that at night to keep them out but this cant go on like this. There doesnt seem to be any way to reset the damn thing.

Anyways what can I do that doesnt cost money preferably?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-10, 03:18 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Hi ogor, not a real pro at this, but let's see what we get. The instructions say you can "Match or change the code in the remote control". Have you opened the remote control to see if you have selector switches as shown on page 23 of your manual? I would start by writing down those switch positions in case you need to go back.

Try changing one switch position and then follow their instructions to see if the receiver can now learn the new code.

If all goes well, your transmitter and receiver will then be operating on a new code and your neighbor will no longer be able to open your door.

Some real pros will be along to correct my advice if needed.

Bud

Old 08-07-10, 04:04 PM
I dont have the original remotes. The kliku one is one of those with rolling codes or whatever as there are no switches. I took the main unit apart too. There is a light in the front and on the back you can take apart a panel which has the circuit board on it. Other than that there is only the learn button.

Old 08-07-10, 04:22 PM
There certainly seem to be a number of replacement remote controls:
www.bearcatco.com--Liftmaster Chamberlain Sears Craftsman remote control openers
Some indicate dip switch control.

Can your neighbor change his code?

Bud

Old 08-07-10, 05:30 PM
If I returned the remote I have and went dip switch would that fix it? Although from what I understand that seems less secure but I dont know many thieves using this approach either.

My neighbor is rather stupid to put it bluntly but its more or less a fact since he couldnt figure out in order to close my door after he opened it he could use his remote. He understood it opened it but was unable to figure out that it would close as well so asking him to fix his is probably not going to happen.

Old 08-07-10, 06:10 PM
From what I read, your receiver can learn the code that the transmitter is sending. Not sure how it picks up changes from a rotating code? But the dip switches should allow you to change the frequency and then hopefully the receiver will pick that up.

Doesn't sound like your system is changing frequencies as is or your neighbor wouldn't be running your door.

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 08-07-10 at 06:12 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-07-10, 07:14 PM
When I tried calling chamberlain they thought maybe by chance when I was holding the learn button the neighbor used their remote and thats how it got programmed in there. I guess my concern is if the dip switch thing would even work or not.

I dont think this would work.

Amazon.com: garage door opener dip switch

All of those made by Chamberlain say only to get a dip switch remote if your unit has dip switches on it as well and mine has a learn button and no dip switches. I would have to have switches on the unit to match the remote so that would not work.

What about simply trying to reprogram the kliku remote I bought already? Could that possibly remove what was in memory and only use that? Or that doesnt make sense either otherwise if you went to program an additional remote then the first one would be removed.

I think the bottom line here is I simply need to know some way to reset this damn thing. I tried calling a repair place but he said just try the 6 second thing. It must be something particular to this model the 1155lm. Its very frustrating though.

Old 08-07-10, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In your manual, pages 24 and 25 seem to be missing. Since you have the learn button, rolling code model, remotes with DIP switches will not work.

Try this: Press and hold the learn button until the light goes out. This will take about 10 seconds. You have now erased all remotes from the memory - yours and your neighbors.

Re program yours by pressing and releasing the learn button - the light will blink, Press one remote and the light should go steady. Press the remote again and the light should go out. You have now programed that remote. Repeat for your second remote.

Let us know how it works out.

Old 08-07-10, 07:35 PM
Help arrived while I was typing, Thanks,

Bud

Old 08-08-10, 10:25 AM
When I hold the learn button the light never goes out. I have tried many many times. I can hold the button forever and nothing happens.

Old 08-08-10, 11:44 AM
If you press and release the learn button, does the light blink?

If so, then press your remote for the light to go steady. Then press the remote again and the light should go off. Per goldstar.

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 08-08-10 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-10, 12:22 PM
I went out and tried holding it even longer and it does nothing. If I press it and release it then it turns off but it never blinks and the codes are never erased because the remote still works fine. Its simply just not erasing the memory... and how on earth can this thing remember it even with no power!

Old 08-08-10, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Try some different stuff...push the button...and unplug. Unplug and push the button..that sort of thing.

The memory on an old unit is probably being held in by a cap supplying voltage...can you leave it unplugged for a day or two?

Old 08-08-10, 01:01 PM
Sure I can try unplugging it a while.

I did try to play with it by pressing the buttons different ways but it just doesnt seem to work.

Old 08-08-10, 01:16 PM
Is there a small red button on the back. One post I found said it was the reset button on his, same model.

Bud

Old 08-08-10, 02:28 PM
Yeah I saw something about looking for a red button but mine does not have one.

I went out and took it apart. There is only the yellow button on the unit. I did some googling and one person suggests removing the low voltage wire from the unit. There are 2 wires connected after unplugging the main power but those go to the button on the door. Is it possible they carry voltage (guess I could have checked) and thus retain the memory? I was going to reach in and try to hit all the caps but thats probably a really bad idea. This is so frustrating though I cant believe how hard this is. To get a new unit installed is $300 and I just dont have that kind of money.

Last edited by ogormask; 08-08-10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The receivers have a hard memory. Power can be out for a week and they are still programed when the power comes on. It does sound as though there is a bad connection on the board which is not allowing the program to erase. You also said that the light does not blink when you press and release the button. That is another bad sign.

Check this site and see if you can match up your receiver board with the replacements listed. If so, you can D.I.Y. for under $ 100. You can also contact these folks for information.

Garage door opener parts for Master Mechanic, LiftMaster, Access Master garage door openers

Just another thought, your unit is about 20 years old. See if the receiver board can be pulled out. If so, clean up the contacts with a pencil eraser and re seat the board. If you are super lucky, it could just be dirty contacts.

Last edited by goldstar; 08-08-10 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added thought
Old 08-09-10, 09:39 AM
Maybe I wasnt clear enough before but the learn button does work correctly. I can use it to program a remote which I did successfully. It just doesnt work to reset which I doubt is a contact issue. While it could be something wrong with the board that seems unlikely as well. Something would have to have physically happened to the board and while it could burn out it seems unlikely when everything else is working correctly. I dont see sticking any more money into this thing. I was just hoping someone would have an idea how to reset this thing. I have a feeling there is some alternative way to reset it and its probably some trick that insiders used to know. I am going to try to call some other garage door repair people in town to see if someone can recall. I just have a strong feeling the unit is working correctly its just working too good.

I looked at how much work it would be to DIY installing a new unit which would be about half the cost. Not that it looks that technical but it does look hard and for roughly $125 to install a new unit by an expert that seems worth it to me. Unfortunately we just moved to this town and I have no job now and my wife's new job will barely make our house payment and ramen noodles. Once I get a job then I guess its new garage door time if I cant figure this out but there was so much other stuff that needed fixing around here too that I would rather not have to put it into a garage door that was working correctly just a week ago.

Old 08-09-10, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm didn't see it in the manual maybe cause its so old?...but wonder how many codes can be stored? Does it kick out the oldest code first? Or am I thinking of keypad codes? Or am I even thinking correctly? lol

Old 08-10-10, 10:19 AM
After calling a bunch more garage guys here in town the only other thing that may work would be to try to reprogram the neighbors opener forcing their opener to a new code. Hopefully that new code would work. I just need to find a time when the guy is sober...

Old 08-10-10, 02:48 PM
There was another system after dip switches and before rolling code. Some recievers will work with different type remotes, but not at the same time. If your original remote was what they called "billion code", and the one you bought was rolling code, it might work with both but not at the same time. You should be able to erase the codes by holding the button for 20 seconds. If you can't erase it try programming your old remote back in and see if that kicks out the new one and your neighbors. You may need another like the one you bought.

Old 08-10-10, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably been mentioned some where in here but you can buy a universal radio controller that you use instead of the built in radio controller. Of course you would have to figure out how to disable the built in radio controller without disabling the up/down button so maybe not practical.

Old 08-10-10, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Okay, one more try. You could consider disabling the receiver on your opener and replacing it with an external remote. The link is for a Chamberlain replacement receiver with rolling code. Pull up the instruction sheet and they will tell you how to disable your current receiver.
If you decide to go this route, call Chamberlain or the supplier to verify that your current remotes will work. If all is good, you could be in business for around fifty bucks.

BTW there is no way to erase a remote itself. The erasing is done in and by the receiver.

Evil thought, since your neighbors remote opens your door, does it look like maybe a missing brother to the one you have? That could explain a lot, if he "found" it and programmed his receiver to it. It would then open both doors.

Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain Security+ Universal Garage Door Opener Plug-In Receiver 635LM - Works with any garage door opener

Old 08-11-10, 10:36 AM
I know he has a different brand than me for his motor unit its like a Genie or something because he mentioned that to me. It must just both be old and use simple codes or something.

Old 08-11-10, 02:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm about dry. Last shot - offer to buy neighbor a shinny new remote with a fresh battery for his opener in exchange for his current remote. If the new one opens his door and does not also open yours, then remove the battery from his, get a hammer, and take turns smashing the old one - offer said neighbor a beer and have one yourself for a job well done.

BTW, I have an Overhead door model which also opens a bolt on Genie at my Ma in law's and I can program either or both openers to the built in which came with my car.

Old 10-02-11, 01:18 PM
I had the exact same problem. heres's what I tried.. (unsuccessfully)
Even after holding the smart learn button for 6 to 100 secs, the memory wont erase. I tried unplugging the opener for 2 days hoping it would discharge any cmos batteries on the PCB and thus would erase memory.. no luck. Finally, I bought a new remote for my neighbor. we configured the new remote with his opener.. but guess what?!?! it opened my garage door. Tried getting a new circuit board.. but its a discontinued model Liftmaster 41A3626

Now..The solution which WORKED!!
I bought an external receiver (GIRUD-1T). Installed it. It worked great. Then, for disabling my existing receiver, I cut the antenna wire (usually hanging from the opener). Still this dumb receiver would pick up the signal. Finally I opened the PCB, removed the receiver antenna and tried again.. no luck.. then destroyed 2 adjoining capacitors.. no luck.. then destroyed a connecting triode.. WORKED!!!
I could disable the the faulty receiver circuit on the opener, and replace it with a Genie external receiver..
It was a long frustrating home project for me.. I hope this is helpful for somebody..

Old 10-03-11, 02:15 PM
If pressing and holding the learn button for 6 seconds doesn't erase the memory then your logic board is bad. Just below the learn button you will find the part number for the logic board. It starts with 41A. You can then check around for prices. If that opener is nearing or is over 10 years old you should replace it.