How To Remove Linseed Oil From Garage Doors

Old 08-23-10, 06:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How To Remove Linseed Oil From Garage Doors

Hi Everyone

I have a question, but first let me give you a brief history of the situation. I moved into a house and the wooden garage doors had been completely neglected. Since I was only renting at the time, I didn't want to spend too much time or money repairing the doors, so I just mildly sanded the doors by hand and applied a mix of linseed oil and thinners, as per a friends advice.

I have since bought the house and want to do the garage doors properly, by sanding them down with a belt sander and applying a good wood protection product. The problem is that there is still lots of linseed oil in the wood, which just clogs up the belt sander and renders it useless.

How do I safely remove the linseed oil so that I can sand it down properly. I have been told that paint stripper should do the job, but I'm concerned that I may be a bit harsh? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-10, 08:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not sure how effective paint stripper would be since it isn't really a coating.

Scrubbing the door with a mineral spirits rag [rinse often, change rags as needed] should help to remove the excess linseed oil. Be sure to dispose of the rags properly!!.... or you can let it weather off.

What type of finish do you intend to put on the doors?

Old 08-23-10, 10:44 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Mark

Thanks for your advise. I was looking at Woodoc 30 - http://www.woodoc.com/content/pdf/sp...c32297f001.pdf

Its a local product here in South Africa, and I have used it on my window frames and am happy with it... Open to suggestion though!

Old 08-24-10, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've not heard of that particular product but assume it's similar to exterior varnish/poly. Here in the S.E.USA, those types of coatings don't hold up well to the elements [although they do look great before they weather]

While I'm sure it will look nice, you might want to check around locally and see how well it's held up for others in your area. Remember a garage door has a lot of surface area and will receive more weather than a window. Paint usually holds up better to the elements than clear coatings do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: