converting a carport into a garage

Old 12-12-00, 06:25 PM
Visiting Guest
The previous owners of my house converted most of the garage into a family room, leaving the original garage door and the first 8 feet of the garage intact (i.e, the garage door runs parallel to and about 8 feet from the wall separating the garage and family room). At the same time as the conversion, they built a carport that is attached to the house above the garage door. I'd like a real garage but want to keep the family room so I want to convert the carport into a garage and tie this into the existing 8-foot garage.

A few questions: (1) Is it possible to salvage some of the carport and convert the structure into a garage or should I just rip it down and start from scratch? (at this point I'm thinking I could use the four 4x6s at the corners of the carport as a starting point for the garage) (2) This would be the biggest home improvement project I've ever tackled so does anyone have any suggestions for any reference material I could read to see how I'd go about a project like this and whether this is something I could reasonably expect to complete?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 12-14-00, 12:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Carport "above" garage as in "over" or do you mean in front of. I have this weird idea of what your driveway must look like! Glad to help if you can clarify this.

Old 12-14-00, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I must not be explaining this well. The roof of one side of the carport attaches to the outside of the garage at a point about 3 feet higher than the top of the garage door. Basically, the carport is positioned so that if I enclosed the entire structure and moved the garage door from its current location to the opening of the carport, I would have one giant garage. Hope that clears up things. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-14-00, 05:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Ok ! I have the picture. Actually I drew one up. I do this for a living. This year I have turned carports into bedrooms, sun rooms and a garage. Email me at doowaditty@juno.com and I can give you a detailed list of what to expect and I won't have to turn this reply into an on-line how-to book.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: