Garage won't open or close fully

Old 12-21-10, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage won't open or close fully

Hi, I have a craftsman 1/2hp garage door opener which stopped working a few days ago. I took it apart and realized the white gear inside was stripped, got a new assembly and replaced it. Everything seems to be working the way it should except the garage door won't open more than 10inches. The wing inside that touches the up/down knobs is not touching either but the garage only operates for a few seconds and stops in both directions. Please help!

Sincerely,

Clueless girl who can't afford a garage repair man!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-10, 06:01 PM
Have you adjusted the travel?
Have you adjusted the up and/or down force?
If info below doesn't work/help, write back with your model #.

See below for info I swiped from another site:
Adjust garage door opener when your door is not working properly. There are certain components of your garage door opener that need adjusting to ensure that your door functions safely.

Things on Your Garage Door Opener That Need Adjustment

* Limit
* Force
* Safety reverse

Step 1-How to the Limit

Turn the adjustment screw on the limit clockwise if the door doesn't fully close.

To open the door completely, adjust garage door opener by turning the limit counterclockwise.

Step 2-How to Adjust Garage Door Opener Force

If your door doesn't rise at least five feet when it is suppose to be opening, hold the bottom of the garage door while it is lowering. This will adjust the open force. For a door that doesn't reverse while closing hold the door as it opens to adjust the down force.

Step 3-Adjust the Safety Reverse

Use a piece of wood to stop and reverse the door, if the door doesn't reverse increase the down limit with a clockwise, one quarter turn.

Read more: How To Adjust A Garage Door Opener | DoItYourself.com

Old 12-22-10, 07:58 AM
Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

Old 12-27-10, 07:08 AM
Garage door won't open all the way

I too am having the same problem. I have two garage doors with the same type of openers (I believe Sears Craftsman). One is working fine. The otherstopped opening all the way about a week ago. It opens about 2 feet then stops. It will open if I "help" it by applying very slight upward pressure with my hand as it opens ( not much at all, kind of like a spotter on a bench press at the gym). It also sometimes will not close without a couple of tries. I was thinking that the cold had something to do with it (in Atlanta). I dont know how it could suddenly get "heavier". I will take a look at the unit more closely using the suggestions previously mentioned. I'll will report back if it changes anything. In the meantime, an additional comments/suggestions would be appreciated. I have been reluctant to call a garage door repair service without trying to resolve myself first.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-27-10, 07:11 AM
Garage door won't open all the way

.... also wanted to mention that units are about 12 years old...

Old 12-27-10, 08:08 AM
Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

Old 12-27-10, 09:19 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Jeffery welcome to the forums. Perhaps you are new to forums and didn't know but you violated basic etiquette by hijacking someonelse's post.

In the future please start your own post. Probably not so bad this time because the original poster never came back but if you have two active posters with slightly different problems it can get very confusing which fix is for which problem is for which poster and which problem with a fix is for which original problem. And if that last sentence sounds confused just think how bad the thread can get.