Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

Need help adding remote for Overhead Door Legacy 696 CD/B w/ Code Encryptor 2

Old 02-05-11, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought a Genie universal opener from HD to add on to this system as we only have two original openers from Overhead and need a third. As far as I can tell, the Code Encryptor is not tied in to our alarm system. I tried to add the opener with the directions in the package (before I realized the CE was there)...that didn't work. I tried to add the opener using instructions for the CE, but that didn't work either (admittedly, I don't know if I had the right instructions).

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Dolt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-11, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How did you try to program it? Usually you press the Learn button on the power head which starts an LED near the button blinking. Then press the remote button once and the LED should be a steady light. Press the remote once more and the LED should go off and the remote is ready for use.

Old 02-06-11, 07:52 AM
On the opener, or the encryptor?

Old 02-06-11, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
I have to say...I'm a little confused by terms being used. A Genie universal "opener"..or universal "remote"? You had 2 original OD "openers" or "remotes"?

Whats the actual model number of the Genie device you have.

I'm not even sure what a Code Encryptor is, but it appears to be primarily for an alarm system but can be used to control a garage door?

I'd have to say based on what I can find, that you'll need a new remote for the Code Encryptor, since the GDO itself appears to use dip switches. It's possible the receiver in the GDO has been disabled completely and only the CE can be used.

Old 02-06-11, 11:31 AM
Let's try to get on the same page with simple terms.
1. You have an Overhead Door brand opener - Model 696 CD/B
2. It is a chain drive with the Code Dodger type security.
3. You probably also have a Honeywell Security system which uses what they call Code Encryptor for remote operation of the security system.
4. The Genie remote that you purchased will work with the Overhead Door Code Dodger but will not control your home security. If you MUST control both, then get a remote from Honeywell. If you just want to open the garage door, then the Genie will work if you set it up properly.
5. The device you hold in your hand is the remote.
6. The part of the garage door opener which has the motor and lights that come on when the door is opened is the powerhead.

Enough lecture. Assuming that you still want to use the Genie, Check the powerhead for a "Learn Button
". It is probably behind the lens cover that has the regular light bulbs. It will have a small LED next to it.
Press the learn button and the LED should start to flash. Then press the button on the hand held remote once. The LED should now have a steady light. Press the button on the hand held remote one more time and the LED should go off.
The new remote is now ready for use. Test it and then replace the lens over the lights on the powerhead.

Old 02-06-11, 11:11 PM
OK, here's the situation, as clearly as I can put it. We have the Overhead Door GDO with two Overhead Door remotes. We need to add a third remote, and to that end, I bought a universal "Clicker", model KLIK1, at HD. The Clicker has a program button and 12 dipswitches behind its battery cover. The GDO has a code learning button at the rear of the unit, but no dipswitches.

As previously mentioned, the GDO is hooked into our security system (DSC) via the Code Encryptor II. So far, I've tried to add the remote using the instructions that came with it (via its program button) with no luck. I've tried to add the remote using instructions that I found online for the CE, again with no luck. I've tried the simple approach elucidated by goldstar, with no luck. (I did this both with the CE wired in and with it disconnected.)

Now, what do I try next?

Old 02-07-11, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not familiar enough with OD openers. I want to say older ones may have been made by Chamberlain...but looking at your remote instructions it appears they may have been made by Genie since around '93.

Have you tried pushing the "program button" a different number of times? Say 2 or 3 times, instead of 5 or 6? A little time consuming...but it won't hurt anything.

How old is the opener? Does it have the safety eyes?

Sorry for the questions, but trying to learn as we try to help.

Old 02-07-11, 09:49 PM
I don't think that I tried pushing the button on the GDO more than once...on the remote, yes. Our house was built in 2002, so I assume the GDO is that old. We've only been in the house since last July.

Old 02-08-11, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
I meant the program button under the cover on the remote. Since it has different codes to tell it what brand to match to. It was just a thought...

Old 02-08-11, 09:16 AM
Does your instruction sheet state that the Clicker is not compatable with some rolling code systems, including Genie Intellicode (same as Overhead Door Code Dodger). You started this thread by saying that you bought a Genie universal remote and now you say it is a Clicker.

I could not find the instructions for a KLIK-1 but the instructions for a KLK-1 say it will not work with the Genie / OD system.

Take it back to HD and get a Genie brand remote which says it works on Intellicode. Then program it as I mentiond in an earlier post.

Old 02-08-11, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Goldstar...here's a link. The manual takes a bit to load (even though it's only 2 pages) and it does say it's compatible Genie Intellicode and Overhead.
KLIK1U - ClickerŪ Universal Remote Control This is the KLIK-1U...I'm guessing thats what he has...it's what our HD carries. Yer right though on the KLK-1...we had a bunch of those returned back when I was working for exactly as you stated.

Genie and Chamberlain are under the same owner now and the Clicker is branded as Chamberlain.

Old 02-08-11, 11:13 PM
Yep, Gunguy, that's what I bought, though on the back of the remote, there's no 'U'. Instruction sheet is the same though. Goldstar, sorry for the Genie/Clicker confusion...definitely Clicker. I never thought adding a universal remote would be problematic, so I ripped open the government-plastic packaging, extracted the remote and instructions, and chucked the package PDQ. For some reason, I had Genie in my head. Obviously, taking it back to HD isn't an option...lesson learned there (one surely to be soon forgotten).

I really appreciate you two trying to help me slog through this mess.

diydolt

Old 02-09-11, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the update Vic. It looks like it should work for diydolt.

I'm getting old, but not too old to learn.