pre-fab trusses build or buy

Old 03-14-11, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pre-fab trusses build or buy

Im getting ready add a den on my house, 18x22 with an 8 ft porch under roof. total 30 ft wide.

i was wanting to know if its pratical to build my own trusses?

HD wants 800.00 for 7 basic and 1 gable. I was giving all the 2x4x10 I need .

I was thinking of using steel gusset plates.( not the kleets that hammer on) or should I?

Im thinking i could spend the time build a jig and and the others would go fairly quick.

what would yall do? how long would this take at a good steady pace wiyh some help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 05:15 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Trusses

Building trusses is possible. Designing the first one and figuring out the angles for all the cuts is what takes time. Build the first one on a flat surface such as a driveway. Then use the first one as a template to assemble the others. I did it for a 22x24 carport before permits became necessary in my area. I later built a 16x24 addition to my house and ordered the trusses from a truss manufacturer. I think you will have trouble with the permits if you try to build your own unless you can get the trusses approved by an engineer. Just my 2 cents. Others will be along shortly with other ideas.

Old 03-15-11, 07:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Right behind you, Ken. If for no other reason than insurance, go with factory trusses. They are certified to hold the load specified, and the liability shifts to them. You make them, your insurance carrier may not insure the structure.
In addition, by the time you do a layout and build each truss, you could have bought and installed factory trusses, and the cost, including your labor would exceed the cost of factory trusses.

Old 03-16-11, 06:46 AM
Will your local bldg. dept. approve trusses that AREN'T engineered?? Mine won't!

Old 03-16-11, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
In my area you have to go with traditional stick built construction or engineered trusses (with stamped & signed engineering documentation). If you make your own trusses they have to be signed off by a Professional Engineer or your home made trusses must comply with the stick built codes. I'd go with professionally made, engineered and certified trusses. Check truss prices through your local building suppliers. They may be less expensive than big chain retailers.

Old 03-16-11, 10:23 AM
Chuck, you've heard several answers or opinions. The common thread in EVERY one of them is to go check with your local bldg. dept. and see what they will and won't allow. There's your answer. Go ask.

Old 03-17-11, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the relpies,

There are no building code in my remote area, I bought 30' trusses for the first part of my house a few years ago.

I was thinking i would build mine just like these. the reason i did not want to stick frame is because the rafters would need to be 2x6x18' this would run the cost above the cost of prefab, pluss i have never seen a rafter spliced and i dont want to try it.

I was thinking that building them was cost effective because the wood is free.

I will have to stick frame the rafters above my existing roof.

I will call around and check more prices in my area.

thanks

Old 04-11-11, 05:30 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Use the 2 X 4's for the walls and buy the trusses.

Old 04-11-11, 08:24 AM
If the prefabs you bought have 2X6X18 rafters and you are going to duplicate them, you'll need 2X6X18 rafters. If you choose to replace those with 2X4X10's, don't suprised to wake up some morning and find your roof laying on the floor.