Framing for garage door

Old 05-01-11, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing for garage door

I have a 2 car garage that has no garage door on it. It is framed for a 16 foot door and has the tracks for the door.
My plan is to reframe it for a standard 9 foot door and a walk thru door instead of the full 16 foot door.
I am handy enough to do it myself if i know exactly the size to make it. What size should I make the rough opening for the standard garage door?

thanks
Vic

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-11, 03:31 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Make your rough opening 9X7, then when trimmed out it will be a little smaller for a tighter seal.Also do the door installer a favor and pad it with 2X6 instead of a 2X4 for that little extra side room.

Old 05-02-11, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you! 9 X 7 it is with 2X6s

Old 05-03-11, 02:49 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
A few classic mistakes people make when framing in a garage door is to use all pressure treated lumber when framing in a garage door. If you do that then there's no way to wrap it in coil stock. Coil stock can not come in direct contact with pressure treated lumber. Never have the finish jams come in direct contact with the apron, and make sure the wood gets sealed on all sides before installing or it will wick up moisture and rot out the wood.
If the door does get wrapped in coil stock make sure not to have the coil come in direct contact with the apron. Leave it about 1/8 to 1/4 short of the apron. The aprons tend to move over the seasons and it will buckel the very bottom. Just cover the gap with silicone caulking.

Old 05-03-11, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Something I hate to see on a garage door opening is a fin weatherstrip that is not symetrical on the door, and actually lays partially on the INDENTED portion of a raised panel door.

This usually happens when a person makes the rough opening too small, THEN adds a 1" thick finished jamb on each side, THEN adds the 1/2" stop that has the weatherstripping that is about 3/4-1" wide. It's made worse when someone frames the garage door opening header at the same height as the entry door headers.

I prefer to take into account the thickness of the finish jamb and size the rough opening accordingly so that the finished opening (minus the weatherstrip) will be the right size for the door... such as 9x7.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-03-11 at 06:35 AM.