garage door repair

Old 12-31-00, 08:47 AM
Visiting Guest
when lowering my door, a broom handle was in setting against the track and as the door came down, obviousily the door stopped and the left cable came off. I was able to reattach the cable and get the door to operate, however, it is out of adjustment. The left side is lower than the right side. Can I further adjust the cable to allign the door?

Old 01-01-01, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I have never had a door be out of adjustment when the cable has poped off and then been put back on.
Your cable is not in the drum correctly all you should have to do is run the door a few times (slowly) and the cable may put itself in its right position.

Old 01-02-01, 08:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Obviously, you have a "tension spring" setup. The easiest and SAFEST way to correct this is with two people.
Lock the door down, and have a helper near the right cable drum, so the cable doesn't come loose there. Have him take a pipe wrench on the bar that everything is connected to,(jaws facing up) and gently push up to loosen the tension on the cable. The first "groove" in the pulley is higher than the others and I think that the cable has fallen out of that grove, which is why the left side is lower. With the tension held off of the cable make sure that it is in the groove and evenly wound on the pulley. Make sure that you've got a GOOD grip with the pipe wrench since if it slips while you've got your fingers there it would be very painful! Always assume that something might slip and be CAREFUL!
Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: