Garage Door Opener Problem

Old 07-18-11, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener Problem

When opening or closing my garage door, whether I use the wall switch or remote, the entire opener occasionally shuts down (no red or green sensor lights or overhead light). After about 15-20 minutes the lights go back on and it operates. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-11, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Sounds like a thermal shutdown, but I wouldn't have thought that would affect the lights; you might check to see if it feels overly warm when it shuts down. Should be a door pro along with more ideas.

Old 07-18-11, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a loose connection. Make sure the power plug is firmly plugged into the outlet and not moving when the motor starts. If you have had electrical storms or power surges you may have burnt or missing traces on the circuit board. You will have to pull the logic board and check this.

Old 07-19-11, 04:26 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
What make is it? Liftmaster/Chamberlain have this problem sometimes, and it is usually a circuit board problem

Old 07-20-11, 07:55 AM
Replies to Questions and Follow Up

Doorman2722, figpickle, and the_tow_guy, thank you for your replies. I have answers to your question and some follow up questions.

Doorman2722: The make is Genie. How do I access the circuit board?

figpickle: The power plug is plugged in to a heavy duty extension cord that is plugged into an outlet (the house was built before there was such a thing as an electric garage opener, therefore, there is no outlet nearby). All of the connections are good and there is no movement of the cord when the motor starts. Are burnt or missing traces on the circuit board obvious?

the_tow_guy: I doubt that the motor runs long enough to generate any heat, but I will check it out. If the motor is overly warm does that mean that the problem is likely a thermal shutdown? What would cause a thermal shutdown and how does one rectify the matter?

Old 07-20-11, 02:48 PM
Most burnt and missing traces are obvious. You should check especially around the small transformer. The motor has a thermal overload protector. If this is the cause it resets automatically after about 15 minutes. You don't have to do anything but wait.