Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener - messed up limit switches or motor phases

Old 08-20-11, 07:56 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need help. I replaced the plastic gear on my craftSman 1/2 hp GDO. Getting the gear pin out and putting it back in was a job in itself. Now I have bigger problems. Here are some clues.

1. When I put the new gear in, I tested the movement of the inner rail without engaging the outer rail. The inner rail hit the safety bolt that protects the opener housing. I stopped the opener immediately.

2. I then went back and re-read the instructions and followed the steps - to a tee ( so I thought). I took extra precaution by reducing the distance the limit switches for up and down movement. This time door was in the closed position, the outer and inner rails were engaged and in the start position ( close to the garage door), and the belt tension was set to 1 1/4 " on the spring. When I turned on the switch, instead of te door opening, the rail went in the opposite (wrong) direction and I shut the opener in a hurry. Throughout this repair, i did nit touch the up down forxe switches.

I will get a professional to look at it Monday but it's killing me to realize I don't understand the problem.

I'd appreciate any clues and suggestions.

Thanks.
Vik

Last edited by vkaura; 08-20-11 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 04:34 PM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
A few things you can check, (1) the wire came loose from the limits switch assembly preventing the opener from shutting off (2) the opener is out of timing with the door, remove the belt and let it run till it shuts off, note which way the sprocket was turning and then move the trolly car to the up or down position. (3) make sure the little gear is in place that drives the limits assembly

Old 08-21-11, 09:01 PM
V
Doorman2722, thanks. Without the belt, will the sprocket make a complete cycle in one direction then stop or will it reverse direction?

If it runs in one direction and stops, how do I know if the door would have opened or closed -- by looking at the direction of sprocket rotation as you suggested? When the sprocket stops, should the next press of the control button make it spin in the reverse direction?

Old 08-22-11, 03:34 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
If the limits are working it will stop, looking down on top of the opener. CCW door is moving up CW door is going down. should the next press of the control button make it spin in the reverse direction? Yes

Old 08-22-11, 06:56 AM
V
Doorman2722,
Your suggestions worked. The door works now. The most critical step was to make sure the sprocket completed its CW cycle.
Thanks for your help.
-Vik

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: