Garage door repair help

Old 10-08-11, 09:01 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door repair help

Hi everyone, I recently had a bad experience with a garage door repair company and I desperately need some more knowledgeable opinion.

Just over 3 years ago, we had our garage door replaced. Just yesterday as we opened the garage door, something snapped, and the garage door came tumbling down. Turns out, it was the lift cable. The top hole at the top of the lift cable had completely rusted out, and it broke.

The garage door company came out and claimed that it's not their fault, and my contention was that they put in a crappy lift cable that rusted out and broke. In the end, I paid them to fix it and put a new cable.

My question is, should the lift cable break in under 4 years? and is the garage door company right in disputing any responsibility? If I'm being ripped off, I need to take them to task on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-11, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sorry..prob have to go with the company on this one. Things break. Almost everyone buys their stuff for repair from a couple of companies in their region. Since they did a complete replacement, the cables and such would have come from the manufacturer as a kit.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "the top hole at the top of the lift cable", but if it was a loop of some sort that was attached to the spring...I have to ask, what kind of maintenance have you been doing? Do you lubricate contact/wear points and check/tighten all hardware at least once a year?

bergengarage voted this post useful.
Old 10-08-11, 01:12 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
I agree, here in NY cables rust out all the time, but usually at the bottom of the door, bottom loop where it hooks to the bottom fixture, not at the drum. You can get stainless steel cables, more expensive but last longer

Old 10-08-11, 04:02 PM
R
Thanks a lot for the replies. Honestly, I was mainly just wanting to make sure I wasn't being ripped off. I have a rental property where I had the garage door replaced 8 years ago, and I have not had a single issue with the door since (total cost was about the same ~$600-650).

That's why I found it odd that this door would have the lift cable loop rust, break, and have the garage door falling after under 4 years. I guess if the lift cable came in the kit and there was only a 2 year warranty on parts (as was the case here), then I guess I'm outta luck.

One thing to mention is that, when the door was installed, I wasn't happy with the fact that it wasn't flush with the concrete and I mentioned it to the installers. It wasn't completely level, though the concrete floor is level. Any case there?

Old 10-08-11, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Nope...not 3 yrs after the fact.

Old 10-10-11, 10:10 AM
R
Thanks again... Ok one last question please.

I had one guy from the company come out. After they denied responsibility, I agreed to have them go ahead and fix it. He showed me the work order which included parts and labor, and I went ahead signed it and I left the house.

Well, I came back, and I can could see that the garage door was about an inch off the ground in the "closed" position. The repair guy claims there's nothing he can do about it. Also, from the time that the door fell off, a few hinges had broken off the panel.

Would I be unreasonable to think that when I paid the guy to fix the door, he'd include the broken hinges, as well as make sure that the door goes all the way to the ground? The guy says his job is done.

Oh, and here's the kicker. After I got back home and looked at the work order, the guy had added "no warranty on parts and labor" to the work order I had signed.

Old 10-10-11, 11:01 AM
F
Get yourself another door company and schedule service for a time you can be there.

Old 10-10-11, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Yep...with that further info..then all I can do is agree with Fig.

Assuming he came out to fix the cable only...he should have then indicated to you the other damage and given you an itemized estimate for parts and labor.

Personally...to me it wouldn't be worth the grief fighting with them. Since it's not something you can take to them and really hold them accountable, it will just take more and more of your time. I would be curious if this is a 1 truck company or a place that has multiple workers and a boss that really gives a darn. Have you been speaking to the owner?

I just had a similar experience with a 1 truck company who didn't seem to care whether he helped me or not and I was just looking for a part.

Old 10-10-11, 12:59 PM
R
Yeah, I get your point. I'm sick of arguing with them too. It's actually a decent sized company with multiple branches. I had fought the issue with the guy who came out, and then got on the phone with the main office and argued with them for a while. Now I'm just done.

But thanks for the info here. At least I felt a little better knowing that I couldn't make them more accountable anyway. So, might as well save myself the headache, get a different company, and stop talking to these guys here.

Old 10-10-11, 01:28 PM
W
figpickle's advice assume that on the mark. Take your business elsewhere.

However, somethings to note in the future. Make a copy of the contract immediately after you sign it. It is a legal document and you would have an excellent case against this guy if you could prove he altered the contract. Never, ever, assume that a contractor will do what you want him to do if you don't make sure that both parties understand exactly what the deal is. That's usually done in hte contract. If you expected broken door hinges to be replaced you should have made that part of the work description.

On the flip side, if the contractor noticed the broken hinges he should have asked if you wanted them replaced and quoted you a price.

Old 10-12-11, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm sorry to hear of your problems. If it's any consolation, you are not alone! Similar things happen to many of us, and not a single one of us deserves it.

As another poster said, plan to be there when you have any other work done at your property. And making a copy of the contract you signed is an excellent idea. Should you have a future, similar experience, that document alone would be your "Pass Go-Collect $200" card in a small claims court case. Meaning the money you paid to the gyppo outfit could be reimbursed to you. And also, as a matter of course, always document any irregularities and shoddy work you observe by taking a few digital pictures. Many times, a picture is worth far more than a thousand words.

bergengarage voted this post useful.