Liftmaster five flashes, clicks and won't budge

Old 11-15-11, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liftmaster five flashes, clicks and won't budge

Garage door is stuck in the open position and I have switched to manual control. I press the door (or remote) control and get two or three clicks but nothing moves (light comes on but does not blink). Error code blinks five times which I looked up "Motor overheated/Possible RPM sensor failure -- unplug to reset"

I have read many of the posts and here's what I tried/checked so far:

- I've unplugged/reset several times
- I've tried with and without load (unlatch door from trolley)
- Trolley is not lodged in stop bolt
- I tried cleaning the RPM sensor, reseating the motor cup, checked connector and wires
- checked all wires
- checked the door sensors and they are both lit (green), if I disrupt beam one goes out
- tried to hold down door control (bypass sensors), nothing.
- I jumpered the red/white cable connectors on opener (to bypass wall switch?)

Any suggestions? Any help on how to rule out cap, motor, and logic board? I assume RPM is not the issue since it doesn't move at all?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-11, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The most common cause for this problem is the trolley is jammed against that bolt. The code for the 5 flashes of the LED is "RPM sensor or motor overload." Normally with a bad RPM sensor the door will move a foot or two and then reverse. What is left is your motor which very rarely is the problem. I would double check that trolley and then make sure the limit switches have not been misadjusted. I have seen more than one case where the limit switches were adjusted to the point both were in contact at the same time. I cannot remember if I was getting a code from the LED.