Removing a Garage Door Spring (Holmes One-Piece Door)

Old 11-17-11, 06:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing a Garage Door Spring (Holmes One-Piece Door)

This question is for a one-piece garage door, NOT a sectional garage door. I am trying to replace the side mounted springs on a Holmes one piece garage door using part SL728C shown on their website - Industrial Spring Company.

After propping the garage door open to remove the spring tension, I am still having difficulty removing the spring from the Anchor Chain and Kicker Assembly because of the remaining tension in the spring. I was wondering if there was any method or tool that could help stretch the spring to make it easy to remove as well as install. Or does it just require more strength on the part of the person installing? Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-11, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Leverage is your friend.

With the spring half-attached and dangling, easiest way would be to grab the loop end with a large Vise-Grip pliers, and give it a strong, sustained tug to where you can slip it over the other end's attachment point. If that doesn't work, you could possibly try a long lever fashioned from a 2 x 4 and eye-bolt (geometry depends on your situation, but with bottom end of lever wedged, enabling you to just push down on the free end with your body weight). If still no luck, then possibly using a good come-along is the answer, having the mechanical advantage of a few pulleys doing the work for you.

Oops--Just re-read your post, and realized I had missed the point of the spring still being attached (my bad). But the things I suggested, for the most part, still apply. For removal, carefully cutting it with an angle grinder after taping the full length to a long 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 (to keep the pieces from flying everywhere) should work.

Old 11-18-11, 01:22 PM
F
I've never seen a better method than brute force but whatever you do be sure to prop the door open first. You will be amazed at how heavy that thing is.

Old 11-18-11, 03:03 PM
P
Thank you for the comments. I agree that I'd need to find a method to lever more force on the connecting areas of the spring. I went to both Lowes and Home Depot today and surprisingly, they did not have a solution.

Old 11-23-11, 08:29 PM
P
I just wanted to update on how I finished this project. I used a come along winch for the project and it made the entire thing so easy! I did the following:

1. Opened and propped the garage door
2. Tied a rope knot to the door angle (which I used as my anchor point)
3. Hung the come along winch from the rope knot
4. Tied another rope knot to the spring
5. Hooked the come along to the second knot
6. Reeled the come along in until I was able to unhook the spring