electric baseboard heat in woodshop?

Old 12-02-11, 07:29 PM
D
doc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric baseboard heat in woodshop?

I need a heat source in my woodshop this time of year. It looks like one of the easiest solutions would be electric baseboard. I've poked around on forums and there seems to be some disagreement about their safety in a woodshop. Has anyone here used electric baseboard heating in their woodshop? Is it safe?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I don't have any heat either, but would never use baseboard heat because of its proximity to all the dust that would settle on the floor and that would constantly be swept around. But they do make radiant heat that could be mounted on the ceiling or ceiling/wall perimeter that might be better, but you would still probably want to clean it off periodically with an air nozzle.

Old 12-03-11, 02:32 AM
D
doc
So, I'm not the only one with no heat in the winter, huh? Kinda sucks - can't work outside, can't work inside.

I've seen those ceiling-mounted electrics - hope their big enough to heat the space.

Old 12-03-11, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I mostly use a wood stove to heat my shop. I also have a kerosene job site heater if I need to warm it up quick. As always, care should be used when heating with anything that has a flame - common sense goes a long way

Old 12-03-11, 05:16 AM
W
When I built my shop I thought about electric baseboard heaters. I had a half dozen that I had removed from my house when we switched to oil. I chose not to use them for the dust reasons others have mentioned.

I have a small woodstove that I use only on the coldest days. Lately I've been using a couple of cheap electric space heaters hung on the wall.

Old 12-12-11, 04:20 PM
D
doc
Two of my friends have wood stoves in their shops. Nice heat and cheap but it takes too long to heat up the shop. I'm now torn between seal combustion LP and ceiling hung electric. Both are a bit too expensive for right now, though. Must start saving my pennies (good thing I quit smoking!).

Old 12-13-11, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I can't imagine a wood stove taking longer than any other type of space heater to warm things up. I plug in a kerosene heater in addition to my wood stove if I need quick heat. The kerosene heater doesn't necessarily put out more heat but running it on the other end of the shop helps to warm the entire space.