Genie garage door opener requires regular power reset

Old 12-06-11, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Genie garage door opener requires regular power reset

We have a 6 year old Genie Chain Glide garage door opener. We've had the following weird problem for the past couple weeks.

Regularly, we go to open the garage using either the Intellicode remotes or the wired wall button, and the opener doesn't respond at all. No movement, no sounds, nothing.

If I get on a stepladder, and unplug the opener from the ceiling socket and plug it back in, it starts working fine. And will continue to work fine for a few hours, or a few days. Then, out of the blue, it stops again. I unplug it and plug it back in, it's starts back up again.

Does this sound like a circuit board problem? Or am I looking at replacing the entire opener (which looks like a daunting task)?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 03:00 PM
It sure does sound like the circuit board. Actually replacing an opener is not as daunting as it looks as the owners manual comes with step by step instructions that are outstanding.

Old 12-06-11, 03:17 PM
I would start by checking all of my connections, making sure they are all clean and tight.
You are dealing with two seperate circuits; remote and wall switch. Seems the wall switch should work all the time, without fail.
What model # do you have, maybe looking at some wire diagrams would help.
When it isn't working is the time to troubleshoot it. If it isn't broke, you can't fix it.

When it isn't working, see if you can short the two screws where the wall switch connects together, this should cause the door to close. If not, the problem is inside. If does you may have a faulty wall switch, loose wires or both.

Don't run out a buy a new system just yet. If nothing else, see how much parts would cost, I would think a circuit board would be cheaper than the whole thing.

Old 12-07-11, 06:51 AM
I checked the connections when it failed this morning. The opener wouldn't respond to remotes or the wall switch, or anything I did to the connections. Unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it worked. I'll start pricing circuit boards to see if it's worth replacing.

Thanks for the suggestions, glad I found this site.

Old 12-07-11, 08:29 PM
Still curious: What make and model is it?

I like to try to figure out "why" it is doing what it is doing.... OCD.

Old 12-20-11, 06:30 PM
I have the same issues with my 6 months old opener. If I unplug and reprogram it will work for a few hours or days. Not impressed.

Old 12-24-11, 07:35 AM
I have seen that problem, and it is a circuit board issue. Not a big fan of the chain glide. The same board was used in another model that performs well. If you can get a board for a reasonable price, go for it. If it is used on a door larger than 10x7, I would consider something new. The new Genies use DC motors and are very quiet compared to a chain glide.

Old 03-19-12, 07:02 PM
Strange Genie Behavior

Gals/Guys,

i have been doing work in many garages the last few weeks since I started a remodel in a Condo complex and the neighbors started using me in their units. Within the last week I have seen 4 different Genie garage door openers that require a power reset (1 being my own in my garage).

With the lid off or the body removed, you can see the red light blinking when either the remote or wall switch is depressed. However the door opener does not respond at all.

Once the power is disconnected and plugged back in everything is fine.

Here in Southern California the weather has been pretty cold (Mid 30's at night) so that could be the problem.

Other then the tempeature I cannot account for

Scott