Pole Barn Addition

Old 12-22-11, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pole Barn Addition

I have a pole barn addition project that i would like to get going on. the additional space would be about a length of 55 feet by 30 feet. And based on our winter snow load conditions here in michigan i have trusses speced out to have the trusses set 4' oc.

I have a bunch of 16' 4x4 posts i can use as the posts in place of 4x6's or 6x6's. and the height of the posts to the trusses would be 10'. My question is that can i use 4x4 posts if i shorten up the space between them. I just don't know if i can get away with this or if i have to use 6x6's. if so what should i use as the spacing? 4' oc to go with one 4x4 post with each truss? Let me know if i am missing some information. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-11, 08:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If building codes have to be met, have an local architect draw some plans for you. It's worth the money.

Old 12-27-11, 01:42 AM
johnsjum,

Welcome to the forums.

Run it by an architect and/or your local bldg. dept. first, BEFORE you do anything, but 4X4 posts just aren't going to be allowed based on my experience with pole barns.

Old 12-27-11, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
I would not use 4x4's even if they are capable of supporting the roof load. It's not a matter of supporting the weight of the roof, it's about stiffness. I think the roof would be dancing around in a good wind with the 4x4's bending like spaghetti unless you did a lot of bracing. I also don't like lumber that small will pole barns for damage resistance. Pole barns generally mean equipment and a 4x4 can't withstand a bump from a truck or tractor like a telephone pole or other large timber.