Cold air return (?) in garage (?)

Old 01-24-12, 02:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold air return (?) in garage (?)

Hi all,

I have a cold air return in my garage - at least that's what I think it is. It is metal, like ductwork, and screwed to the wall. See the two pictures on this post:

Right now it comes out from the wall a good 6-8 inches. It goes from floor to ceiling, and it kind of flares out at the ceiling.

Honestly, I have no idea what it is. Any ideas on that?

What I want to do, is get it to be closer to the wall. I only want that to come out like 2-3 inches, or whatever may be possible. I can flare it in at the ground, and then flare it back out up top.

My goal is to be able to get my new beer fridge closer to the wall. Right now, I have to have it sitting way out from the wall so that the door will clear this thing.

Any ideas? Can I just take it down, trim it with metal shears, and screw it back up? Or are there pieces I should buy at the hardware store?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 01-24-12, 09:52 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I do not know the purpose of that duct, but have you considered reversing the door openings on the fridge. Many are designed so that you can easily change the hinges and handles to switch from a right hand to a left hand opening.

Old 01-25-12, 02:09 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
If you cut the distance from the wall in half, you will want to double the width so it can carry the same volume of air. It may be hard to find the parts to convert from one size to another. you may have to cut and bend sheet metal to get it done. But for a beer fridge it is worth the effort.

Old 01-26-12, 01:55 PM
J
AH HA! That makes sense. I think I can definitely make it twice as wide. The issue is getting it closer to that wall...

I thought about switching the side the door hinges on, but I really don't want to do that. I like opening it from the left.

Thanks for the info - I'll look into making a custom piece. Shouldn't be too big of a problem, I think. I honestly have no idea where it would go. It just goes to the garage floor - I can't imagine it goes into the ground, through the concrete.... Guess I'll see when I open it up. Hopefully it's not a mouse house.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 01-27-12, 10:30 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is your house built on a slab? My first house was and the ducts ran under the slab. When one of them collapsed I had to run it through the attic.

Old 01-27-12, 11:13 AM
J
My house is not built on a slab, HOWEVER, the garage does not have a basement underneath it.... so I guess you could say the garage is on a slab.

I think I'm starting to understand where this goes. I think it must go underground, and come back out in my basement... which there, it is in the rafters.

I am going to take it off, and just rebend this particular piece. That way, I will guarantee I have the same amount of airflow potential, no matter how I shape the vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: