Garage Door Replacment Windows

Old 03-03-12, 08:26 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Garage Door Replacment Windows

I got a hold on a thermal imaging camera and noticed that my garage door windows are very bad. This is not surprising as my windows are a single sheet of plexi. The door insulation was actually pretty good.

Is there a way to get better windows?

Old 03-03-12, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It depends on the door. Most manufacturers offered double pane windows as an option on their better (thicker/more insulated) doors.

As to how much you would gain for the price? Probably not much. And they won't be cheap. You'll have to buy new frames along with the glass IF it's even available for your door. As I remember they were about $125 (5 yrs ago) as on option on an 8ft new door order (4 windows). Probably much more as replacement parts.

You could try to make a sort of interior storm panel to fit in each window, but they would need to be removable for cleaning. If you sealed them on with caulk or something you will get condensation most likely.

As a cheapo fix, if you don't really need the light....cut pieces of 1" styrofoam insulation and fit them to the existing windows during the winter.

Old 03-04-12, 07:27 AM
D
Thanks. This gave me some ideas. I wonder how this product would perform:
3M
I could apply it over the whole panel, just separated by the metal structure.

AN other option would be to add a window film. However, I don't know much about its performance for rejecting cold.

Old 03-04-12, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Sure...the 3m shrink film will help to some extent...but it's primarily to help stop air leakage in old windows. If it's sealed tightly it will create a dead air space which will provide some benefit.

The film on the glass is more for rejecting outside heat.

Old 03-04-12, 11:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you don't object to a foolish question: Why is this an issue?

Are you heating your garage like the rest of your home? Do you heat it at all? Seems to me that you're sinking a lot of effort into something that has little likelihood of repaying the investment.

Old 03-04-12, 11:37 AM
D
A bed room is on top of the garage.

Old 03-04-12, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh geez...I should have asked the same thing...since I had the same issue at my last house. Bedroom above the garage was cold in winter and hot in summer. Garage ceiling had the minimum (and max actually for fiberglass) insulation. All exterior walls were insulated as well. They didn't start that way..but after I removed the pegboard the builder installed..thats they way they wound up.

When the old wooden door finally needed replacement I replaced it with a 2" thick 3 layer steel door (no windows)...with steel inside and out and styrofoam insulation. I also put on the vinyl door stop/weatherstripping to eliminate drafts. The difference was amazing. Room above was still a bit colder/warmer than the others..but easily compensated for with HVAC airflow adjustments.

Current house is single story with a lower quality door, but I found by eliminating exterior airflow it did help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: